How Long Should I Wait to Consider a Mommy Makeover After Having a C Section?

I will be having my last child (#4) this year and this will also be my fourth C-Section. I want to have a Mommy Makeover when I am completely healed because I need a tummy tuck, breast lift and implants. How much time is recommended between surgeries? Also, would the surgeries be done on separate visits or all in one day? Thank you.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

After pregnancy when can I have a mommy makeover?

+1

Thank you for your questions and congratulations on number four.

Generally you wish to consider mommy makeover after the uterus has returned to its pre pregnancy size and you have returned to what you consider your baseline weight.  The uterus is generally back to base line between 3 to 6 months after surgery and can easily be evaluated by your gynecologist.

It is common to include both breast and abdominal surgery at the same time.  It is the most common combination that I see for postpartum restoration.  You do not need to separate the surgeries unless your surgeon feels that the operating room time would be excessive.

Best wishes and congratulations to you.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/html/abdominoplasty.php

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover after delivery

+2

I usually have my patients wait at least 3 months but breast feeding can delay surgery and how long it takes to get back to your "fighting weight" can influence the timing.  As in all operations every one is different and it could be 6 months or more before you are ready.  This is a judgement call with you and your doctor.  I know that most patients want the procedure ASAP but I always look at what is safest for you and the best long term result.  Have a blessed day!

Mommy Makeover After C-Section

+1

You are just the patient we see for a Mommy Makeover!  Your body needs to recover after your pregnancy so you are ready to heal.  Generally, 3 months should be fine for tummy surgery and liposuction, if your blood count and nutrition have returned to normal levels.  If you are breast feeding, you need to wait at least 3 months after stopping so your breasts have time to return to normal in order to evaluate your size and droopiness.  Your obstetrician and plastic surgeon will be able to help you decide.

Wait six months after a C-section before mommy makeover.

+1

Most plastic surgeons would insist upon a decent interval between childbirth elective cosmetic surgery. Six months is an often quoted time interval which seems reasonable.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

How long after a c-section can mommy makeover be performed?

+1

6 months is plenty of time after a c-section to wait before having a tummy tuck.  The breast lift portion of a mommy makeover can be performed a couple of months after you stop breast feeding.  For young healthy, patients both procedures can be performed at once.

Mommy makeover after delivery

+1

Congrats on the new baby. The decision as to when to proceed with surgery is dependent on a lot of factors. Breast feeding is a consideration and I recommend 3 months after the completion of breast feeding before surgery. Regarding the tummy tuck, you want to be at a weight that you are comfortable with and can maintain. I like my patients to have a BMI of 25 or less. This is a common combination of procedures and one that can safely be done at one time. Best of luck with the new little one and with your surgery to restore your "preMom" figure!

Mommy makeover after last pregnancy

+1

I generally have patients wait until they have finished breast feeding and are back on their regular menstrual cycle for at least three months before recommending surgery.  This gives your body a chance to return to baseline so we know about skin excess, breast volume, etc.  All of the procedures listed can be accomplished at the same setting in the hands of an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge your surgeon's level of experience and expertise.

Planning for Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

I would suggest that you wait as long as necessary to have achieved a long-term stable weight  and to give yourself at least 6 months after breast-feeding before undergoing “mommy makeover” surgery.  Whether or not to have the procedures performed in one setting is  a decision that will be made after in person consultation;  much will depend on your health status, the duration of the planned procedures, and your chosen plastic surgeon's  preferences.

Some advice I give to my patients who are contemplating mommy makeover surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

How Long After C-Section to Have Mommy Makeover

+1

I would wait four months or more for your C-section incision to heal and also for you to have time with your new child before having a Mommy Makeover. You need time to stabilize your weight and if breast feeding you need to wait 3-4 months after that. Pregnancy leaves you in a hypercoagulable state for 3-4 months after delivery. The operation of abdominoplasty is known to have one of the higher risks of deep venous thromboembolism, and adding breast surgery makes the surgery longer. Therefore you would be compounding the risks of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, by doing this combined surgery sooner than 4 months. 

"Pregnancy is a hypercoagulable state in which coagulation is activated and thrombolysis inhibited. This prothrombotic risk is compounded when hereditary and acquired thrombophilias and other prothrombotic risk factors are present. The risk of venous thrombotic events is increased fivefold during pregnancy and 60-fold in the first 3 months after delivery (postpartum period) compared with nonpregnant women."  See reference link below.

Web reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21047579

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait before mommy makeover

+1

You are wise to wait until after you are finished having children before your mommy makeover, so the timing now relates to breastfeeding, and how much support you will have taking care of the children after your surgery. It is usually a good idea to wait at least 3 months after stopping breastfeeding before breast surgery. You will not be able to lift more than 5 lbs. for a few weeks after the tummy tuck so that will be a consideration too. so for most moms it is at least 6 to 12 months after your baby before doing the mommy makeover.