How Long Should I Wait to Consider a Mommy Makeover After Having a C Section?

I will be having my last child (#4) this year and this will also be my fourth C-Section. I want to have a Mommy Makeover when I am completely healed because I need a tummy tuck, breast lift and implants. How much time is recommended between surgeries? Also, would the surgeries be done on separate visits or all in one day? Thank you.

Giving your body time to recover before a mommy makeover

Hello. For the best results I tell my patients to wait nine months to a year after there last child before getting a mommy makeover. The reasoning for this is that the uterus needs time to return to its normal size after child birth so that your body can be corrected in its normal state. 6 months are also recommended after breast feeding. The last thing to consider is that you should be as close to your average healthy weight as possible before surgery. Good luck and congratulations!

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Mommy Makeover after delivery

I usually have my patients wait at least 3 months but breast feeding can delay surgery and how long it takes to get back to your "fighting weight" can influence the timing.  As in all operations every one is different and it could be 6 months or more before you are ready.  This is a judgement call with you and your doctor.  I know that most patients want the procedure ASAP but I always look at what is safest for you and the best long term result.  Have a blessed day!

Wait 3-6 Months and Be Within 10% Of Ideal Weight

It’s not unusual for women to request Mommy Makeover surgery following pregnancy.This procedure includes liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and breast lift performed in a single setting.The timing of this procedure is extremely important for a variety of reasons.
It takes time for a new post pregnancy body to reach its new baseline following pregnancy and during this transition, it’s impossible to make aesthetic judgements.During this period, stretched skin may contract, a swollen uterus may shrink and the weight gained during pregnancy may gradually disappear.This process takes 3 to 6 months and needs to occur before abdominoplasty is performed.
Pregnancy and breast feeding cause significant changes in a women’s breasts.When breast feeding is complete, the glandular elements shrink and, as a result, the breasts become smaller and develop sagginess.It may take several months for this process to be completed and for this situation to stabilize.Until this happens, it’s impossible to make aesthetic judgements about the breasts.
Ideally, patients should be within 10% of their ideal body weight and in good health otherwise.The majority of women who have undergone C-Sections aren’t in good physical shape for a variety of reasons.They may have severe fatigue, a depressed immune system, possible blood loss, an increased potential for infection and elevated estrogen levels which can increase the risk of blood clots.Finally, the demands of a newborn could make recovery difficult if these procedures are combined.
For all these reasons, it’s important that Mommy Makeover be delayed for at least 3 to 6 months following a C-Section. If you’re considering, Mommy Makeover surgery, it’s important to give yourself time to fully recover from your C-Section.Once this has occurred, it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mommy Makeover After C-Section

You are just the patient we see for a Mommy Makeover!  Your body needs to recover after your pregnancy so you are ready to heal.  Generally, 3 months should be fine for tummy surgery and liposuction, if your blood count and nutrition have returned to normal levels.  If you are breast feeding, you need to wait at least 3 months after stopping so your breasts have time to return to normal in order to evaluate your size and droopiness.  Your obstetrician and plastic surgeon will be able to help you decide.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Wait six months after a C-section before mommy makeover.

Most plastic surgeons would insist upon a decent interval between childbirth elective cosmetic surgery. Six months is an often quoted time interval which seems reasonable.

How long after a c-section can mommy makeover be performed?

6 months is plenty of time after a c-section to wait before having a tummy tuck.  The breast lift portion of a mommy makeover can be performed a couple of months after you stop breast feeding.  For young healthy, patients both procedures can be performed at once.

Mommy makeover after delivery

Congrats on the new baby. The decision as to when to proceed with surgery is dependent on a lot of factors. Breast feeding is a consideration and I recommend 3 months after the completion of breast feeding before surgery. Regarding the tummy tuck, you want to be at a weight that you are comfortable with and can maintain. I like my patients to have a BMI of 25 or less. This is a common combination of procedures and one that can safely be done at one time. Best of luck with the new little one and with your surgery to restore your "preMom" figure!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Mommy makeover after last pregnancy

I generally have patients wait until they have finished breast feeding and are back on their regular menstrual cycle for at least three months before recommending surgery.  This gives your body a chance to return to baseline so we know about skin excess, breast volume, etc.  All of the procedures listed can be accomplished at the same setting in the hands of an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge your surgeon's level of experience and expertise.

Planning for Mommy Makeover Surgery?

I would suggest that you wait as long as necessary to have achieved a long-term stable weight  and to give yourself at least 6 months after breast-feeding before undergoing “mommy makeover” surgery.  Whether or not to have the procedures performed in one setting is  a decision that will be made after in person consultation;  much will depend on your health status, the duration of the planned procedures, and your chosen plastic surgeon's  preferences.

Some advice I give to my patients who are contemplating mommy makeover surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.