Planning on a mommy makeover but curious about what to ask for with the breast augmentation?

I'm scheduled for a consultation in December and I want to walk in with a little bit of an idea of what I want and how to word it. I want the "high profile" look with round implants that don't droop at all if possible (more of the fake look) Is that possible to achieve since I already have large breast with lots of breast tissue? I hate how just a lift looks so that's not an option. I don't want bigger breast just nicer perky ones and pretty certain that I want an implant to get that look?

When wanting a 'fake' look

+2

you have to consider more extreme procedures. With your hanging and drooping tissues, a consideration of a reduction with augmentation would provide that look you desire but you are giving up your native breast tissue so when your implants are no longed needed or desired, you will have smaller, perky breasts. If you don't want to give up your tissue, you have to understand the tissue will drop with time and you will need more surgery to address that. A lift alone is not bad but it won't give the fake look you mention as your goal. Discuss your options with your surgeon and choose what will work best for you.

+2

Breast augmentation will make you larger in size. You will need a lift with or without implants to put you close to your goals.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Best Breast Operation for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Your situation is not uncommon and hopefully this response will be helpful to you and other young ladies with the same concerns.

Many patients who are starting out with a significant amount of breast tissue and/or some “sagging”, will benefit from removal of some breast skin/tissue prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Otherwise, if they were to have a breast augmentation and/or breast lift at this point, they will likely not be pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

One analogy I used to describe the issues at hand is called the sheet versus comforter analogy. Young ladies who present with very little breast and/or adipose tissue “coverage” (analogous to "sheets") are more likely to achieve the “full, round” look with breast augmentation surgery since the breast implants will show themselves through the relative thin coverage present.

On the other hand, patients who present with more breast and/or adipose tissue coverage (“comforters”), are less likely to achieve the full round look after breast augmentation surgery, because the “roundness” of the breast implants does not show themselves through the relatively thick overlying coverage.

For these patients, who present with a significant amount of soft tissue coverage, traditional breast augmentation/lifting surgery may leave the patient dissatisfied, given that the “full, round” look is not achieved. One option for these patients is to remove breast tissue as well as breast skin during a breast reduction/lifting operation. By doing so, the plastic surgeon is essentially converting the patient from a “comforter” to a “sheet” situation. In my practice, I use a second stage breast augmentation procedure to achieve the “full, round” look that the patient is hoping for. During this stage, selection of breast implant type, profile, size etc. becomes important. Careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success.

I suggest that patients not base communication of goals or satisfaction with the results of surgery on achieving a specific cup size. As you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients. With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well. In office use of sizers under bras are helpful during the communication process. Computer imaging technology may also be a helpful communication tool.

I also use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

All types of breast lifting involved removal of some breast skin; the lower the position of the breasts on the chest wall, the more skin that needs to be removed, in order to tighten the breast skin envelope. In these situations, the more native breast tissue present, the more tissue that will need to be removed to help achieve the final outcome desired.

For some patients the necessity of additional scars associated with breast lifting surgery is a “dealbreaker” ; for these patients it is better to avoid breast surgery altogether.

On the other hand, many patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

Generally, patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately.

Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time. This revisionary rate may be as high (or higher) than 20%. Patients should be aware of this higher revisionary rate; obviously, the need for additional surgery, time off work/life considerations, and additional expenses are “factors” that should be considered before undergoing the initial operation.

It is also not unusual for patients to present after previous breast augmentation/lifting surgery, dissatisfied with the shape and/or amount of superior pole fullness/volume. These patients may benefit from revisionary surgery.

An additional operation, possibly involving capsulorrhaphy, may be necessary to achieve the patient's longer-term goals ( with superior pole volume/roundness). It is helpful if patients understand that this breast implant capsule used to provide the support for the breast implant is not present during the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. The capsule (layer of scar tissue) forms around the breast implant and may be a good source of supportive tissue during revisionary breast surgery, Including correction of breast implant displacement/malposition problems ( such as bottoming out, symmastia, lateral displacement etc).

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

BBA

+2

Unfortunately, I don't think your ideal pictures are possible for you without a lift. You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to get their opinion.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Fake breasts

+1

To achieve a more fake look you will need both an uplift and a subglandular placement of the implants.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon