Would a D Cup Look Too Big on Someone Who is 5'3?

Size D, to big for 5'3?

+1

It really depends on your complexion! If you are too skinny.. DEFINETELY it will be big! But if you are proportioned, then probably not. That also depends on the kind of implants your surgeon uses. And as importantis the amount of breast and gland if you have! If yours are too small, then they won't because it will create strechmarks all over it (if they are able to place it).

Implant size selection to achieve your goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Lastly, please make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The proper credentials and certification matters.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Is a D cup too big ?

+1

Dear Goldilocks,

I would need to know more about you such as your weight, your breast measurements, if any asymmetry, wether you would need a lift too, if you had children, if you breast fed ..etc..there are so many factors to consider, before answering you.

yes a D cup will be large, and may make you appear " matronly "if you are not tall.

you will need to adress all those issues with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck,

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

D cup Too Big?

+1

The same implant in individuals with different body types will give a completely different result.I utilize computer imaging to show the individual what they will look like both in and out of clothes. I would focus on your appearance after surgery not the cup size.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

D Cup on a 5'3 Frame

+1

Size, size, size. It's all relative and each surgeon sees size different just like patients. The best things I can recommend are this: go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, make sure you are able to "try on" implant sizers and if your PS offers it to Vectra 3D imaging.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

D cup on a small frame?

+1

When choosing an implant for a breast augmentation, I would encourage you not to focus on cup sizes.  Cup sizes aren't really standardized and can vary from manufacturer to manufacter as well as how the bra is fitted.  Also cup sizes will vary based on your chest circumference -- for example, a 34D is different from a 32D, even though both are D cups.  In addition to trying on different sizers in your plastic surgeon's office, your own breast and body measurements will play a significant roll in determining which implant is right for you.  I would encourage you to discuss these issues and your goals with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size is a Choice

+1
Thank you for your question. Frame size does have some impact on the proportionality of breast size, but it is not absolute.  Breast measurements do have some impact on the size implant that would fit your tissues comfortably. Going far above the size your tissues will allow can lead to long term problems such as more wrinkling, palpability, capsular contracture and malposition.  This discussion can only happen within the context of an in person consultation.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

A D cup looks large on anyone.

+1

A D cup implies large breasts regardless of the frame. There's nothing wrong with that if that's the look that you want.

Breast Implant Size Selection for Body Type

+1

Do not focus on cup size or volume when choosing breast implant size. What matters is how it looks on you. That is the role of trying on different sizers in the office prior to surgery, to help you see what they look like on you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Beware of using bra size to choose your implants!.

+1

We all use numbers and letters to talk about breast size because that is the only language we have to discuss this frustrating subject, but we all know bra size it is not an exact science.  When we walk into a bra  department we could pull 20 different bras of the same size and they would all fit differently. Not only are bra sizes not standardized...women  wear their bras differently depending what they want the bra to do for them. Sometimes we want our bra to push up, sometimes we want our bra to make us look even when we're not, sometimes we want our bra to give us a better shape...and so on.

What I would suggest you do is try on a D cup bra that you think you would choose if your breasts were larger and fill it with whatever you have available (we would use real breast implants if you came to my office for a consultation) and put on a snug shirt.  This is a quick and easy way to get a feel for what a D cup would look like on YOUR BODY FRAME. Only you know what kind of bras you like to wear and what kind of clothes you want to fit better. In other words, only you know how you want your breasts to enter into the overall "look".  

In my experience, I find that most clothes are designed around approximately a C cup breast. I tell women when we do our sizing in the office ... Let's try to find what size implants come closest to acheiving the overall "look and feel" you are hoping for and then once you have surgery go find a bra that fits and cut the tag out! Because the number or letter doesn't matter in the end...what matters is that your breasts are the size you are happy with.

Mary Gingrass, MD