Cystic Breasts?

i have saline breast implants that were placed over the muscle 15 years ago. I am now 37 and discovered at least 10 cysts in each breast in the last 4 years. i go once a year for an ultrasound. some of these cysts are causing bumps poking out of my skin. what are my options to reduce that awful look. Can they be removed or only drained?

Cysts and Subglandular Implants

+1

These cysts can be surgically removed or drained depending upon the architecture.  If there are particular ones that create a contour irregularity and they are amenable to easy removal that is an option.

Cystic breasts

+1

they can be be drained and or removed. vigilance with breast cancer surveillance should precede all else

Breast Cyst Treatment Depends on Type

+1

The treatment of breast cysts depend on whether they are associated with recurrent inflammation, infection and the architecture.  Simple cysts with smooth round cavities that are not associated with inflammation, infection or bleeding are typically drained with a needle under ultrasound guidance.  This is particularly important since you have implants in a subglandular position.  Complex cyst...those with walls or septations or associated with bloody nipple drainage require further evaluation and testing.  The problem you are describing goes beyond a cosmetic concern and should be evaluated by a breast surgeon to be on the safe side.  They have significant experience with this problem and are experienced working around breast implants.  Best of luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Breast Cyst

+1

It would be wise to consult with a Breast Specialist regarding treatment for your breast.  I'm sure your Plastic Surgeon could refer you to someone.

Treatment of Cysts after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes, it is possible to either directly excise or drain the cysts. I would suggest that you minimize scars on your breasts;  excise lesions that are causing  noticeable “bumps”. If the cysts are to be drained care must be taken not to puncture the breast implant (sometimes the procedure is best done under radiologic guidance).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm