Possible Cyst Near Breast Aug Incision, Should I Be Worried?

I'm 5 months post surgery. Recently found a small pebble like lump very close to the incision under the breast,along with a litte abnormal scarring very near the area. I saw my PS yesterday, and his thought was that it is a "cyst", because of a litte discomfort when he pressed on it. He wants to do a scar revision and take out the mass and test, just to be safe. Should I do the procedure? Should I have a mammagram done first? Should I not worry and leave it be?

Breast masses

+1

Although it is probably nothing to worry about, a lump in a breast should not be ignored. Unless it disappears on its own in which case it can be ignored, it should be removed. It is a relatively simple procedure and has the added benefit for you of improving your scar. Since the cyst should be removed anyway, I do not see any benefit from a mammogram in helping decide what to do with the cyst. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Mass near Breast Augmentation Scar

+1

The overwhelming odds are that such a mass is not cancerous. That being said, there is no reason to allow this process to continue. A small procedure would restore the contour of the scar as well as remove the mass and give you peace of mind. I agree with your surgeon. 

Breast Lumps After Surgery

+1

Your plastic surgeon is giving you good advice. A woman who has cosmetic breast surgery should resist the temptation to overlook any lumps or masses on the breast. Don't assume that it is related to your surgery even if appears likely. You need to be just as vigilant about lumps as someone who has not had surgery, including the use of diagnostic tests and excision for biopsy purposes.

Joseph Fata, MD

Cyst near breast augmentation incision

+1

It is very good that you have brought this to the attention of your surgeon and that it is being addressed. There can be a number of causes for this, most of which are not of concern. Excision is the most definitive treatment and certainly a very good choice. It is possible that it might be a cyst, a small remnant of suture, some scar tissue etc. 

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based solely upon your written description I agree with your PS, have it removed and sent to pathology for examination. 

Cyst near breast augmentation incision line

+1
If your issue was only a bit of scarring, I would recommend Kenalog injection or Cordran tape prior to entertaining surgery. However, if there is a cyst (and a sebaceous cyst is such a basic diagnosis that it should be obvious to a board certified plastic surgeon) and not a large "zit", it can either be incised and drained or excised. I normally recommend preoperative mammography in patients over age 40. I do not see an indication for mammography in your case unless the circumstances are different from what you've put forth.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

“Lump” near Breast Augmentation Incision?

+1

I think your plastic surgeon is being cautious and has provided you with a good recommendation and treatment plan. Having a mammogram prior to the procedure ( assuming that your  breasts are not to dense  for good mammographic visualization) is something to consider and discuss with your plastic surgeon.