Cynosure Multiplex Laser for Scars?

I was wondering what the best treatment for hypertrophic scars are. I started the Multiplex today but have read that IPL is better? Your opinions, please?

Scar Treatments

+1

The treatment to improve a scar depends upon the nature of the scar. Wide scars are often best served by scar revision. Pigmented scars can get some improvement with laser treatment but this can be a bit tricky. True keloids have a high likelihood of recurrence.

You need an evaluation with an expert so your options can be explained.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Laser for scars

+1

In general, the Pulsed Dye Laser is the best laser for hypertrophic scars. There are a variety of brands of Pulsed Dye Lasers, of which the Cynosure Multiplex is one. Although Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) has been used for the treatment of hypertrophic scars, in my experience, it does not work as well as the Pulsed Dye Laser. Having said that, in general, the Pulsed Dye Laser must be used in combination with an injected cortisone into the scar to achieve the best results.

David Goldberg, MD

Hypertrophic scars respond best to combined treatments

+1
Hypertrophic scars are very vascular-they have many blood vessels-which is why they are red. Cynosure multiplex is a good vascular laser which closes blood vessels and should help. Other modalities are IPL, pulsed dye and other lasers.

I also combine Non-ablative fractional erbium laser treatments to smooth and reduce the "lumpiness' of hypertrophic scars.

Occaisionally when these modalities dont work I use steroid injections which can be very helpful if done judiciously and carefull by an experienced doctor

Since your skin is irritated I would wait until your skin heals before ant further treatment.

I would NOT do any peels in areas with hypertrophic scars-could make the scar mpore inflammed.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS