Cutting the Depressor Septi Muscle?

Hello, when I smile my nose tip droops a bit. I am not really interested in rhinoplasty, I just want the depressor septi muscle cut. Would this require a surgery or just a minor procedure? What is the recovery time? Thanks

Cutting the depressor septi muscle

+2

Cutting just the depressor septi muscle can be done under local anesthesia, but the entire nasal base will have to be numbed up to perform the procedure.  While it is still surgery, it is a fairly minor procedure that can be done under local anesthesia, and there is just a little bit of residual swelling around the upper lip for the first couple of weeks.

Correction of drooping nasal tip with smiling

+2

The depressor septi muscle attaches from the upper lip to the base of the nasal septum.  During smiling an over active muscle will pull the nasal tip downward and cause a broad appearance of the nose.  The problem is easily corrected by cutting this muscle through a small incision made inside the mouth just under the upper lip.  It may be performed on an outpatient basis.  It is considered a minor procedure and the recovery time is about 5 to 7 days.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon