Could Cutting Depressor Septi Improve Nose Tip?

I'm looking for a minimally invasive way to lift my nose tip and improve my naso labia curve. Could Botox or cutting the depressor septi muscle improve these areas? My nose does turn down slightly when I smile so I know it would probably improve that area.

Botox has been used in the nasal tip

+2

Without looking at your pictures it would be hard to tell if an improvement could be made. Some of my colleagues have used a neuromodulator like Botox or Dysport to paralyze an overactive depressor septi muscle but the results are temporary and very subtle because the cause of a droopy tip is rarely just from this muscle alone. If you are only concerned about the tip while smiling then this may be the way to go but it sounds like the rotation could be made better with subtle changes in the tip through suture technique or through an endonasal cartilage splitting tip rhinoplasty. I would consult with a reputable board certified surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns. Good Luck!

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

As a stand alone maneuver cutting the depressor would not give you the complete change you are seeking.  It would arguably alter the dynamics between your nose and lip when you smile and you would notice less droop of the tip during smiling, but it would not create rotation superiorly.  You could, however, have a closed rhinoplasty to perform a cephalic trim and tip suturing along with division of the depressor muscle and have excellent natural results without a major rhinoplasty.  Without photos it is not possible to give you an individualized evaluation but I hope this helps. 

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, no it wouldn't be that simple.  Decreasing the muscle effect would not IMO rotate the nasal tip.  This would most likely require a surgical procedure during a Rhinoplasty to increase the nasal tip position and rotation.

Nose tip

+2

Without good pictures it is impossible to tell. Usually tip surgery is required with a supporting intracrual cartilage strut

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Cutting depressor septi

+1

The depressor septi muscle simply depresses the tip of the nose upon animation.  When the depressor septi is divided or released the tip simply stays static and is no longer dynamic.  Releasing the depressor septi does not raise the nasal tip.