Is It Ok To Get Botox With Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or Cutis Laxis?

i found out recently i have a skin autoimmune disease (loss of collagen/ stretchy skin ), i have been getting botox for one year and always have side effects. Most often, extreme waves of anxiety for the first couple days. its so bad i've found myself at the ER twice. I have read on botox pamphlets it doesn't recommend patients with autoimmune issues. do you believe my adverse reactions are possibly spawned from this skin disease?

Ehler Danlos is not an absolute contraindication for Botox injections

+1

Botox interferes with a nerve muscle signal communication. It does not weaken dermal collagen or elastin. Ehler Danlos is a syndrome related to a gene defect that one inherits.  I don't see a connection between the Botox and Cutis Laxa or Ehler Danlos. You may choose not to have Botox because of the anxiety reactions you develop, but not because of the dermal connective tissue disorder.

Botox mainly works to stop MUSCLE contractions.

+1

Also sweat glands are made less active by Botox. I am not aware of any action on the skin or its elasticity so you should be fine even with Ehlers Danlos syndrome. I suspect your anxiety attacks are due to somethng else and not related to Botox.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon