Pearl Laser for Melasma?

I had the Cutera Pearl Laser treatment 6 weeks ago for melasma. Now it looks worse, like they are now splatters all over my face unlike before they were just in ceartain areas. The doctor wants to do another one but I scared it will be even worse again. What should I do?

Pearl not for melasma

+2

Ablative lasers are rarely the smart choice for melasma. I prefer Fraxel Restore, a fractional non-ablative laser using low energy, high density settings. This is pretty well known. Are you seeing a board certified dermatologist for the melasma? The pre- and post-treament protocol is also critical to the success and long-term benefits of any procedure for melasma, including SilkPeel and lunchtime peels. Good Luck and don't do this a second time. It would worsen even more.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Melarase for melasma with Pearl laser - Los Angeles

+1

Melarase can be used for melasma before and after Pearl laser. Melasma and pigmentation can incite darkening of the skin that can be improved with laser. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Pearl laser's effect on melasma is unpredictable

+1

I have had some success with the Pearl laser for melasma and some failures. So far I haven't seen any made worse but I have no doubt that it is possible. In any event, the Pearl laser is an adjunct to other therapy (bleaching agents, etc.) and not a definitive cure.