Was This Really Necessary to Be Cut Vertically for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I just had a tummy tuck with umbilical hernia repair 5 days ago. I went to the most top rated plastic surgeon in my area. So 15 minutes before my surgery the surgeon and his team decided it would be best to cut me vertically as well as horizontally due to how stretched out my skin was all around and above my belly button area, I was also told I would lose my belly button in the process but this would give me the best results, minus the scar. They gave me a bb, but now it's dead. Any thoughts?

Vertical incision during tummy tuck

+1

For some patients that have a lot of extra skin in the horizontal direction as well the vertical direction, a vertical incision may be necessary to ensure that your tummy is flat afterwards.  It is difficult to say if this was necessary in your case without pre-op photos.  Good luck.

Vertical Incision with Tummy Tuck

+1

If there is a great deal of laxity horizontally as well as vertically, a vertical incision may be merited.  Preop photos would help in this situation to evaluate the need for the incision.

Was This Really Necessary to Be Cut Vertically for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

There are times when there is so much vertical excess of tissue that both horizontal and vertical incisions are needed to get a nice contour. Without seeing pre-op photos, it is not possible to guess what you needed. Please consider reposting your question with pre-op photos. Thanks, best wishes.