I Cut a Piece of my Nose off and Doctor Stitched It Back on and Now Starting to Look Black is It Dead or Can I Save It? (photo)

Portion of nose cut off and reattached

+2

Unfortunately this portion of tissue is unlikely to live. You will likely need multiple reconstructive procedure to repair this area. If the injury was something you did to yourself, please seek help immediately.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tissue that was sewn back on your nose does look compromised

+1
At this point the tissue that was sewn back on your nose does look compromised, but it still has some coloration in the center. It is often amazing how much of this replanted skin can survive. Most physicians are very conservative in their care with this by just doing dressing changes, keeping it clean and preventing infection. It will continue to resolve on its own and has a good chance of looking remarkably normal if cared for properly at this point.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tissue death and reconstruction after injury

+1

It's impossible to say for sure with only a photograph, but I would guess that the majority of the black tissue will not survive.  However, you should be able to get a good long term outcome all the same, although it may require some additional surgeries.  If you don't already have it, you need to arrange for follow up in the near future with an appropriately certified (facial) plastic surgeon to examine you create a plan  for long term reconstruction.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Black area on nose after piece cut off and stitched back

+1

From your picture, I would say that it is highly unlikely that the black area on your nose will be saved.  This does not necessarily mean that the nose will look bad after it heals.  I would contact the surgeon who performed your surgery so that you can be closely followed and treated to help give you the best outcome.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Injury

+1

Unfortunately, the photo shown implies a poor prognosis of tissue survival.  Hyperbaric oxygen treatment and/or application of leaches might be of some benefit depending on when the injury occurred.  If this area does slough, there are reconstructive options (multiple stages) which can be utilized.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Trauma and Repair

+1

When a portion of the nose is completely cut off, it is cut off from all blood supply, and the liklihood that it will live and heal well decreased.  So you know if the inside lining of the nose was affected?  or if it was just the outer skin?  The doctor did the right thing in sewing it back on, but realistically, you will probably need reconstructive surgery at some point.  You will have to give it some time, and see what your nose looks like after some more healing. I would suggest close follow up with your surgeon.   

Dara Liotta, MD