Can You Cut or Manipulate an Existing 3mm Malar Cheek Implant While Its Screwed in my Cheeks?

Im 1 year postop . Had cheeck implants put in . and I dont like the projection and size of it. its to big (3mm implants).My surgeon recomended that he would cut and customize the implant while its still scwered in my checks. Is this safe and effective surgery?

Trimming Existing Cheek Implants

+2

As I suggested in your other post you have multiple choices if you want to decrease the size of your cheek implants. There would be advantages and disadvantages of each. After clarifying your goals an experienced surgeon will help you decide what is best for you.

Modifying Cheek Implants in Situ

+2

While that could be done, there is no reason to do so. It is harder and less effective to try and reshape/downsize an implant when it is in position unless the change needed is very small or maybe just a protruding edge. It is far more effective and easier to simply unscrew and remove it, reshape the implant on the outside and then put in back in. It is no more surgery to do so.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Sadly no.  Trying to trim or reduce the size/shape of silastic cheek implants isn't recommended as it is not an exacting procedure and can result in ridges or shapes that are not aesthetically attractive.