Is It Always Necessary to Cut Around the Areola While Performing Breast Reduction?

Hello, I am considering to have breast reduction as my left breast is still slightly bigger and hang lower than the right one after liposuction. The areola is of the same size, nipple same height. I would like to know if it is possible to avoid cutting around the areola and perform a vertical incision only. Thanks for answering my question.

Breast reduction, liposuction, asymmetry, and incisions

+2

If the breast is too low in addition to being too big, then a true reduction will involve an incision around the areola to move it up along with the (reduced) breast. Liposuction is the only way to reduce a breast without any significant scar but this is not a true breast reduction as no breast tissue is removed and the amount of fat removed and the size of result is not well controlled. 

Asymmetry as you describe it might be adjustable without a periareolar scar if the nipple-areolas are at the same level and size, but this would be unusual and would require some type of custom or non-standard approach. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Areola scars and breast reduction

+2

It is not always necessary to place incisions around the areola for a reduction, but the "norm" is to make incisions around the areola.  An exam will better determine this for you.

Breast reduction with areolar scars are limited

+2

Correcting breast asymmetry is challenging but can be done!  If your areolas and nipples are even in dimensions and location, you probably can avoid the areola scars.  Measurements taken during an in office consultation will confirm whether this is reasonable.

Vaishali Doolabh, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Revision and Incisions?

+2

To give you precise advice, direct examination and a full discussion of your goals would be necessary. However, generally speaking, if you are pleased with the position and size of your nipple/areola complexes,  then incisions around the areola are not necessarily required.

It may be beneficial in your case to “customize” in operation that will help improve your breast symmetry and minimize incision/scars to only what is necessary.

In-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons may be helpful to you.