I Am a Curvy 5'0, 124lbs, 34B 13BWD--are HP's Right for Me?

I am a curvy 5'0, 124lbs, 34B 13BWD, with a bigger behind. I want to be a very large D (and definitely don't mind if I am bigger than that) and when I tried on sizers, I immediately fell in love with 500ccs and have decided to go with it. My question is, my Dr. choose high profile for me. Do you think this would be okay with my 13bwd? Oh if this makes any difference at all,I am going with saline via crease. Thanks!

Choosing a breast implant

+3

Hi there-

Given your goals and the photos you have posted, I think that it is possible the high profile device will approximate your goals- but this is not to say that it will look better than another alternative.

I personally do not like to commit to an implant before surgery, as I think that this "ties my hands" and limits my ability to give my patient the very best outcome possible.

I think you (and all patients) are much better off having a discussion with your surgeon about what you want to look like, and then letting them make the decisions that in their experience have lead to the outcome you want.

I hope this helps- and good luck!

Choosing the right implant profile

+2

Given the measurements mentioned in your question and your goal to have 500cc implants then I believe your surgeon is making the right choice with a high profile implant. Every case is different, but in general, if the implant diameter exceedes the diameter of the existing breast then a natural looking result will be difficult to achieve. For patients who desire larger implants, then a high profile implant is the right answer. Patients desiring a more subtle implant are frequently better served with a lower profile implant.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Your anatomy defines the implant width.

+2

A simple rule to follow in breast augmentation is to keep the implants narrower than the breast anatomy. This allows for better camouflage of the implants, less implant malposition complications, and lessens tissue thinning. If your breast diameter is 13cm, then an implant slightly narrower than this is appropriate. For the 500cc implant range, the higher profile provides a narrower implant to match your breast anatomy while still providing the volume you like.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

You definitely need high profile breast implants, but see below.

+2

How to pick breast implant shapes and sizes.
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast augmentation high-profile implants

+2

The high-profile implants is a nice implant. It gives more projection and a more natural looking augmentation. Another advantage of the high-profile implant especially in the saline implant is that it has less rippling, wrinkling that you fill through the skin.

I think the high-profile implant will  give you a more natural appearing augmentation then a moderate or low profile implant. But if you want an augmented look, Pam Anderson, then this implant is not for you. The high-profile implant will give a more natural look.

Wendell Perry, MD

Breast Implant Size

+2

It appears you have a moderate amount of breast tissue  and a nice figure. It is difficult for me to tell you what is the best size implant for you with an examination. With the information you provide, I would think this size should meet your expectations. Your surgeon knows you and has discussed your expectations and desires with you. You have confidence in him so trust him and enjoy. Best Wishes.

Richard Linderman, MD

High profile breast implants

+1

There are several issues to address here but ultimately the choice of profile of the breast implant should be up to the patient although for saline-filled breast implants I would go with Allergan as the Mentor high profile saline implants are not scaled for the width of the implant. For gel-filled, either brand is fine. 

The proper way to fit breast implants, in my experience and opinion, is to size them like fitting you to clothes or your foot to a shoe. Breast implants need to match the width of your breast (which can be measured) and will accommodate forward by increasing the profile up to high profile which should make your breasts look about 2 cup sizes larger than what you started with. The number of cc's is determined by the width of the implant and profile choice, not by starting with the cc's. Currently there is no good way to measure the "size" of a breast and know or see what "size" it will be after surgery. Fitting the implant to the width of the breast and choosing a profile to go up between 1 (low profile) and 2 cup sizes (high profile) and expecting the breast to look like yours that much larger is the best we can do.

Other approaches that don't work, are misleading, or set the patient up for disappointment are: Using external sizers, using pictures of other women's breasts, and deciding on the size of the implant during the surgery. The inframammary crease incision approach has proved to be the best for short term results and long term issues and can be done with a 2 cm incision for saline-filled implants if you know what size implant will fit and what effect it will have before the surgeon puts it in a correctly positioned pocket. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Are high profile implants right for you?

+1

Obviously you want a very large breast. I would actually recommmend not going that large but a lot of it is personal preference. For that size, my guess is that a high profile implant is probably the right choice. it will be more narrow and thus fill you out (quite well) without giving you too wide a breast. be prepared though for a large round beast - I suppose that is what you want?

Ronald Schuster, MD

High profile implants

+1

I try not to settle on a certain volume of implant before surgery.  I will use a sizer placed in the surgical pocket to see what volume will give you the look you are wishing.  Trying on implants is fun but can be misleading.  Once your surgeon determines the volume of implant you need the decision should be made as to what profile.  This is based on the base width of your breast so your anatomy will determine what profile implant should be used.  Based on the information you have given you probably will need a high profile implant.  Many patients seem to worry about what profile they should get but I feel there is no decision really to be made by the patient as you just need the implant that fits your chest wall the best and that is already determined by your anatomy.  As long as you have selected an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon I would leave it up to your surgeon.

Gary Hall, MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants

+1

It is difficult to determine exact cup size pre-operatively. Every manufacturer produces a variety of bra styles, which may differ in size and shape. High profile implants provide more projection and may result in a “torpedo” look. I tend to place moderate to moderate plus profile implants sub-muscularly for a more natural look through a peri-areolar incision. Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.