How Curved Does my Nose Seem, and What Can I Do to Get It Fixed? (photo)

I was mugged about a month ago and was punched in the nose at a side angle and cause my nose to be deviated. I had to have closed reduction and septoplasty, after exactly two weeks. Now its been a week and a half or so since the operation and the swelling is going down. I look at my nose and it still looks curved to me. Especially on camera. I feel around my nose bridge where the curve is and it feels like cartilage is missing. I also have a bump and wonder if that will go away?

You do need a corrective septoplasty and rhinoplasty/reduction fracture.

+1

Hi Someone;

Sorry that you were mugged.  Yes, you have the typical appearance of a broken nose.  I presume the punch came from your right side.  It is okay to have a closed reduction and septoplasty, but at two weeks, it may have been a little difficult to get all the parts back in place because some healing begins.  My recommendation is you need to discuss with your surgeon when he/she thinks the optimal time to do a revision rhinoplasty would be.  Typically, six months is a reasonable time to wait.  All the tissues need to heal very well and be solid and without any swelling, so they can be intelligently worked upon again.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

How Curved Does my Nose Seem, and What Can I Do to Get It Fixed

+1

Since surgery took place recently, you will still have temporary swelling and it is too soon to tell if your nose is still curved. It is best to wait a few months for the swelling to go down and discuss the results with your plastic surgeon. Continue to follow all of your doctors post op care instructions.

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Crooked Nose

+1

Just 2 weeks after surgery, the asymmetry or deviation you have may simply be secondary to temporary swelling. Over the next couple months you and your surgeon will be able to accurately asses your results.

+1

Photo show MAYBE a deviation but they are underexposed. Best to see in person a few boarded PSs in your area. 

Curved nose after surgery

+1

While no two sides of the face are the same, and differences between the right and the left side of the nose will ALWAYS be present, it is too early to tell what the final result will be on your case. Your front view does look slightly asymmetric, as the swelling settles in the next several months the appearance may change. 

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon