Curly Hair and Eyelash Transplant?

I have very curly (ringlets, not kinky) hair. Will this make me a poor candidate for an eyelash transplant?

Cosmetic eyelash enhancement, non-surgical treatments are the best option

+2

In the age of Latisse and other biologic eyelash growth stimulators, eyelash transplants are not the best choice for cosmetic enhancement. Latisse and similar products can acheive uniform, predictable growth of the lashes that a transplant cannot achieve.

Eyelash transplants can be a very natural, beautiful option. However, the risks and downsides need to be considered: long term trimming and curling is required (translation- higher maintanance), and irregular growth and scarring can occur as well. If your hair is wavy or curly, the transplanted lash will require more maintanance to create a natural lash curve (with trimming and curling).

Latisse and similar drugs cannot create lashes in post trauma situations where the lash follicles have been lost. In these cases, transplant is the only option.

If you're looking for a cosmetic improvement of your lashes, and you have not had trauma to your eyelids causing lash follicle loss, I would strongly recommend Latisse well before an eyelash transplant.

Hope this is helpful and best wishes to you!

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelash Transplant

+1

Remember the hair will maintain virtually the same characteristics in the new transplanted location as it did where it originally grew.  For eyelashes, you can use the gentle curve in which your hair is described to grow to your benefit and make a curving eyelash.  But, if the curl is too sharp, the hair is at risk of either growing with an unnatural appearance or worse, growing into the eye and causing constant irritation.  The best candidates for eyelash transplants are those who have lost the eyelashes from scars, accidents, skin cancers, etc... A truly cured trichotillomaniac (one who in an OCD fashion pulls all their eyelashes out) can also be a reasonable candidate.  For people with either short or sparse eyelashes I would highly encourage using Latisse before considering eyelash transplants. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Donor hair for eyelash transplant

+1

The hair you describe, curly but not kinky, can be effectively used in eyelash transplants. However, the exact degree of curl needs to be evaluated, and then there is the issue- as with any eyelash transplant- of the patient being informed as to the risk of these procedures of the hairs growing in a difficult to control direction.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon