I Am Curious if I Am a Candidate for Ear Reduction and Otoplasty to Bring the Ears Closer to the Head? (photo)

In both of my ears I have mature cauliflower ear from years past and with this it has made my ears disproportionate. I am looking into getting my ears reduction as my ears are larger than what I would like but I am not sure how the mature cauliflower ear affects this. I also would like to have my ears brought closer to my head. I know since I have mature cauliflower ear, my results may not look as natural but I am still willing to give it a shot as they do not look natural right now.

I Am Curious if I Am a Candidate for Ear Reduction and Otoplasty to Bring the Ears Closer to the Head?

+1

Ear pinning will produce the greatest improvement.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

This could be a tough otoplasty or ear surgery

+1

Thank you for the question.  I'm an MMA fan (past participant) so I deal with this pretty frequently.

Bottom line for you is you need a in-person evaluation to make this call given the scar tissue.  I'll attach a video of another fighter's surgery

If this can be done it's via an incision in the crease behind your ear.  Permanent sutures will be placed in the cartilage and lining of cartilage to maintain the new shape as the cartilage has "memory" and tends to return to its old position with temporary internal sutures.  The surgery can easily be performed under local anesthesia or sedation and your healing time is about 7 to 10 days. 

Hope that was helpful.  I'll attach some info.

Chase Lay, MD

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon