Can I have a breast lift without replacing current implants?

I had breast augmentation when I was 29(before child)...I'm now almost 36. My breasts feel so heavy since my pregnancy. About 2 years ago surgeon said he could use current implants and just do lift. My concern is having lift then having to go back in in a few years to have saline implants replaced. Implants are only 6 1/2 years old. Would love to get good results(higher, tighter breasts with little more upper pole fullness) using current implants.

Breast lift with same implants

+1
If your saline implants are in excellent condition with no rippling or other problems then lifting your breasts without an implant exchange can be a reasonable option.  After child birth most saline implants I see are not in excellent condition.  You said your breasts feel so heavy, Have your breasts gotten bigger? Have you gained weight since your augmentation? Silicone breast implants are so much better than saline, they are softer and lighter in weight so if you have the opportunity to do it I would advise you to upgrade to silicone. This may be a good opportunity to change sizes as well, maybe you could be a little smaller or you may want to go bigger?  Are you done having children?  Unless you are then I wouldn't recommend you to have surgery. Good luck with your surgery! Dr Brou

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift without implant replacment

+1
Breasts can be lifted without replacing implants. I recommend a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Excess skin is removed tightening the skin envelope. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without replacing implants. However, if you do decide you want new implants, it can be done simultaneously. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug

+1

It is possible to use the same implants, this has to be done very carefully to prevent any contamination that might bring complications later, although it's possible I would prefer new implants to prevent any of the above.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Breast Lift with Indwelling Implants

+1
Provided your breast implants are in good position, you can certainly have a breast lift in top of them. That recovery is a lot easier than the initial placement of the implants.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lift with your current implants

+1
I see no problem with your surgeon's plan. I think it's perfectly reasonable to leave 6.5 year old implants in place. The only reasons I see to exchange your implants are if you would like a different size or you would like to convert to a gel filled implant. If you have been happy with your saline's I'd leave them in place. The deflation rate on these implants is very low.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

+1
  The breast lift can be performed without changing the implants.

For the lift, I typically start with the smallest incision and custom tailor each breast lift to the shortest scar possible.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Breast Lift After Implant is a Common Procedure

+1
What you describe happens all of the time. Implants don't, unfortunately, stop the process that occurs with child birth and so if you were going to need a lift without implants, you would likely still need a lift with implants. If the implants are in a good position, there is no need to change them. Some folks use this opportunity to put gel implants in or change out old implants. 
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift without replacing implants

+1
It is possible to perform a breast lift without replacing your implants, however, there is always a risk of damaging the existing implant even when great care is taken. It would also be helpful to know exactly the size of the implants and if they were placed under or on top of the muscle. If you are concerned about the possibility of having to replace your saline implants, you may want to consider having both procedures at the same time to get the result you want. There are now many different types of implants that are available in different shapes as well. I hope this is helpful, and that you are able to visit with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast surgery. 

Mark E. Mason, MD

Mastopexy on top of existing implants

+1
Thanks for your inquiry, but without pictured it is hard to know for sure.  I have personally only lifted the breast on top of well positioned existing implants many times with excellent results.  Please seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Breast lift and saline implants

+1
Thank you for this very interesting question although it would be easier to advice having some pics to study.
keeping your implants is certainly an option.
On the other side you are young and you are planning to have a tight and high breast: this means that the implants will be more superficial - hence they need to be soft and feel natural.
This could be a good indication to change the saline implant: not because they are not good at all, but because they might not feel as natural/soft as the best cohesive gel implants.
With regards

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon