Achieving Size D Breasts After Breast Augmentation?

I currently wear a size 40C bra. I'm having Breast Augmentation in a month I choose 400cc moderate profile. Will this give me a full C to a D?

The size of an implant depends on an individuals breast anatomy

+2

Your question is a very common one. I have several patients who tell me the cup size they would like to achieve and have an idea of the implant size they think will get them there. I explain to my patients that each person is different based on their anatomy. One size implant does not equate to the same final cup size in all individuals.

My advice would be to discuss your desires with your plastic surgeon and allow he/she to go through an appropriate evaluation to determine what size implant will help you achieve your desired cup size.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

A larger chest and breast will often require a larger implant

+2

With breast augmentation the larger the breast is that we are starting with, and the larger the chest diameter, for example you are a 40 in. chest and larger than say a 36 in. chest it is fairly safe to say that you will indeed require a larger breast implant than average to fill out the breast a full cup size. The volume of the implant is influenced by the diameter and by the projection needed, so a large chest and breast will need a larger implant to achieve the same look than in a smaller individual. Hence there is no hard and fast rule to determine the number of cc's per change in cup size.

Time after time I am amazed that you, the patient, are able to select the implant you would like. How do you choose an implant without any experience to guide you? You are probably close in your guess as to what you will need, but your surgeon should be kept accountable for the end result. Make sure he knows what you expect to look like.

peterejohnsonmd

400 cc's is too big!

+2

Hi!

According to various formulas, it takes no more than 300 cc's to go from a 40C to a 40D. So 400 cc implants for your breast augmentation is too big.

In general, I would urge you not to go too big. Very large implants age poorly, and we often hear from patients who are unhappy because their implants are too large.

In New York, we use disposable implant SIZERS during surgery to see which is the best size before opening the permanent breast implants. This take the guess work out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Cup size after implants

+2

Measuring a "D" cup is difficult, because all bras are different. I never guarantee a cup size to a patient. But ont he other hand,  you should probably go up at least a cup size with the volume you chose.

Bra Size is Irrelevant!!

+2

Are all the bras in your closet the same size now?

Of course not.

And they won't be after your augmentation surgery.

Unless you are in the adult entertainment industry and need a specific size, the most important thing is to PICK THE IMPLANT THAT FITS YOUR TISSUES. If you go larger than that, it looks round and fake, and thins and stretches your tissue over time. If you go smaller than that, you will have emptiness of the upper pole of your breast.

In fact, there are few women who really fit a 400cc implant. Many women do in fact select implants that large, but that's because most women oversize their implants.

That all being said, it's hard to imagine that a 400 cc implant wouldn't at least make you a C cup. But if you want an attractive result that will look good down the road, be sure that you really are large enough to fit that implant!

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Pick your cup size

+1

All of my augmentation patients have a cup size in mind before they visit me.  Most commonly they want to fill a C cup, some few desire a B cup and then there are the D cup ladies who want to show off larger breasts. Very commonly many want to be made even larger a year after breast augmentation even though they thought a C would be enough.   I guarantee cup size by fitting my patients into a pre-selected, no stretch, no padding standard “granny bra”.  Post augmentation they will always fit into this pre-selected size.  They are informed that when they purchase a fashionable bra they may be a C or D cup larger in the fashion bra which is sized to be more complementary. But when they put on the sizing bra in our office they will be the size they had preselected.  This is 99% fool proof.  I have found that no other system of measuring works as well as the patient selecting their final size in a bra they selected.  A lot of time is spent in the consultation to choose their desired size. In the operating room i just place the implant which they have chosen.  I leave it all to the patient. I make no suggestions whatsoever except to ask if this is what they really want.   This has been very successful ever since my wife suggested this technique for 25 years as ago!  

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Achieving a D cup breast wtih breast implants

+1

I just answered a question for a patient with a C cup who had 460 cc implants placed and she feels she is still a C cup. Individiuals will vary in their cup shape, size and design

Breast implant size for a D cup

+1

Breast implants may improve the diameter, volume, and projection of the female breast. Choosing an implant size depends primarily on the individual anatomy of the patient and the individuals aesthetic sense.

A 400 cc implant in a person who is already a C cup will render a larger breast that is at least a D cup.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

You'll probably get there

+1

As you can see, cup sizes are not the way to size implants.  The proper way is based on the "look" you want and what dimensional measurements your own body bring to the table.  That being said, you will probably achieve your goals with that implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS