Worried Still Too Big After BR from a 38DD?

I am 2 was post-op but my breasts still look so big and heavy. I'm probably a full D currently. I am 5'3" 157 lbs and I say I'm more medium frame. My PS said he too about a pound per side. (I didn't think to ask exact grams until I began reading on this forum but I know 454 grams is a pound). My surgery was approved by my insurance so I know there's a minimum. I asked to be a C since I think my frame wouldn't look proportioned with a B. If a pound was taken out per side, would that put me in range?

Concerns about Breast Size after Breast Reduction?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the price reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery. At this point, I would suggest that you give yourself several months ( and even up to one year)  before evaluating the end results of the procedure. I would also suggest that you do not base your satisfaction with the results of surgery on having achieved a specific cup size.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Too big after a Breast Reduction?

+2

Breast Reduction is a very challenging surgery because there are both functional and cosmetic issues.  There is no hard and fast rule equating volume/weight with cup size.  From an insurance perspective, a breast reduction is performed to alleviate neck, back, and shoulder pain, intractable rashes, sore shoulders from bra strap grooving.  The weight recommendation is based on the Schnurr scale which is a formula derived from body surface area (a calculation based on your height and weight).  Once you get your BSA (body surface area) you look on the scale and there is a recommended amount of resection.  The only thing that an insurance company cares about is that the weight resected meets this criteria.

As a plastic surgeon, I am concerned more with creating a more aesthetically pleasing smaller breast and in the process alleviating the neck back and should er pain that has been bothering the patient in the first place. 

In the process of a breast reduction, Bra size is the most unreliable factor for a variety of reasons

1.  No standards in manufacturing ie. Victoria Secret's differs from Macy's which differs from Nordstrom's etc, etc.

2.  Inaccuracies in sizing the appropriate bra size for the patient.

Bra size is determined by two factors

1.  Chest Circumference at the level of the inframammary fold.  This gives you the first number ie 36

2.  Cup size is the circumference around your body at the level of the greatest projection of your breasts.  I don't have the exact numbers but an A cup would be let's say 2 inches greater, B cup 2 inches more, C and so forth.

The problem with this is that the relative difference in cup size is more magnified for ladies with small chest circumferences ie 32, 34 vs 40, 42, and higher.

At the end of the day, the most important factors are

1.  Are you happy with the appearance of your breasts

2.  Have you had an alleviation of the symptoms which prompted your decision to get a breast reduction.

As a surgeon, if I am going to err in one direction for a breast reduction, it is always to be too big, because it is much easier to correct this vs. the patient who's breast is now too small.

Please keep in mind that the final breast volume really takes over 3 months to settle down and that the volume of your breasts will fluctuate with weight.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I hope that I have answered your question.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Touch up breast reduction can get you to C cup.

+1

Hi.

Your breasts probably will not get any smaller.  Do nothing for 3 or 4 months, because you may come to like your current look.  If not, you can have a revision.

You need more time!

+1

Cace,

It takes at least 12 weeks for breast reduction surgery to settle down.  Do not panic!  You will look different every time you check yourself in the mirror for the next several weeks.  I bet you will end up with exactly what you are wishing for!

Good luck!

Michael Novia, MD

Olympia Plastic Surgeon