Opinions on What to Do About my Neck? (photo)

I'm 40 years old. I've lost 70 lbs in the last few years. I now weigh 141 lbs at 5'4. I have never had a defined neck/ chin area and I hated my profile even when I was younger because of it. Due to heredity and now the weight loss it's worse. I was wondering if anyone can tell from these pictures if I'd need just lipo? Or a full neck lift. Thank you.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Sagging neck treatment options after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Unfortunately, the neck skin does not tighten as much as we want after the weight loss.

Generally, there are 2 treatment options for sagging neck skin. One option is non-surgical treatments performed in office via local anesthesia with devices that use technology such heat, radiofrequency, or ultrasound to tighten the tissue. These non-surgical treatments produce results gradually and commonly require multiple treatments to notice any results. Most plastic surgeons will suggest a lower facelift or neck lift as the preferred option. A facelift normally provides better and faster results, but has more downtime as compared to non-surgical treatment. Lastly, for those who always have had a poorly defined neck and chin, a chin implant will not improve the chin but also the neck too.

Speak with a plastic surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and a ill defined neck

+2

I cannot see your chin well in the images but suspect you also have a short chin and low lying hyoid bone (the upper part of the larynx).  These genetic factors contribute to the lack of good definition in your neck on the profile view and the lack of a 90 degree or so angle at what we call the cervical facial angle (where your not so horizontal line under your chin meets your not so vertical line of your neck).  At the minimum, you will probably need to have the muscles under the chin tightened (a platysmaplasty...tightening of the platysma muscle, the wide muscle  that covers your neck).  For the best results, however, I would bet that you would look better with a full neck lift and probably also a chin implant at the same time.  Liposuction, really lipo- sculpting, is often part of these procedures.  All this will tend to give a better cervical facial angle and overall contouring of the neck.  Of course, you should seek an opinion from an experienced board certified surgeon or two before you decide.  I have attached a link to some examples.

Web reference: http://www.drbentkover.com/procedures/necklift_photos-worcester-boston.shtml

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Opinions on What to Do About my Neck?

+1

Liposuction would not be recommended based on the photos provided as there is evidence of loose and excess skin which will not be tightened by removing fat alone.  A Necklift is indicated. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/FaceLift.html

There Are Different Options For Neck Rejuvenation

+1

Depending on some underlying factors such as excess skin and the elasticity of the neck area there are a couple of options that can be done to get the outcome you are looking for.  For instance, at my practice we perform a variety of procedures that benefit the neck area, including submental liposuction (neck lipo), neck lift, or mini facelift. Once you've had a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon, they will explain which procedure would benefit you the most. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

A neck lift will be beneficial

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Your photos and history of weight loss suggest that you have excess loose skin of the face and neck.  Loose skin and soft tissue of this magnitude is best treated by a neck lift.  You may also benefit from a chin/jaw angle implant or fat grafting to the jawline so these options should be discussed with your prospective plastic surgeon.  

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=206&StartRow=6

Neck lift not Lipo is best for loose skin

+1

From the photos it looks like you have neck bands from the platysma muscle and loose skin.  The only way to repair that situation in my opinion is a corset platysmaplasty and neck lift (lower facelift).

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

With the limited photos, it is hard to judge. In my experience with weight loss patients, liposuction alone does not help. A lower face/neck lift did get the best results.Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. All the best

Neck contour deformity following weight loss

+1

Weight loss in the lower face and neck area can uncover underlying problems with neck musculature and deeper fat compartments. In this setting, liposuction alone would likely worsen the situation by accentuating remaining muscle bands. The best solution is to perform a lower face and neck lift, in order to tighten and re-position all sagging tissues. Anything short of that would lead to disappointing results. Good luck!

Grigoriy Mashkevich MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose Neck Skin

+1

It is not possible to make improvements on loose neck skin by using liposuction. You are better off having a neck lift.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

What should I do about my neck?

+1

Congratulations on your successful weight loss. From the pictures that you have provided it appears that you have laxity in the neck as well as jowling along the jaw line. Your best results would be a facelift with a combined neck lift. This will anchor the muscles in the face and neck in their more natural, youthful position and establish a more defined look to your neck and jawline.