I had a fat transfer to my complete face 3 yrs ago & now my face is hollow. What filler should I use now?

Fat Grafting for a Hollow Face

+2
Structural fat grafting, when performed expertly can create its' own blood supply and  can be permanent. You want to be certain that should you have fat grafting again, you would want a longer lasting result. I would always suggest fat as the ideal filler for hollow areas in the face. However, you want to find an experienced plastic surgeon with a technique that can provide a longer lasting result. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Which filler is best for a hollow face?

+2
Every person is slightly different. It is hard to say what your particular problem is without seeing a picture. There are many fillers on the market that can volumize your face and each one is slightly different. There is no "best filler" in the group, and often a combination of several different fillers is the best way to approach hallowing in the face. Indeed, fat is an excellent way to provide the needed volume to combat the hallowness that comes with age. The nice thing about fat (besides the fact that it is natural and already a part of you) is that it is somewhat permanent. The draw back to fat is that it is more of an involved procedure to harvest the fat then inject it and the part of it that gets vascularized and stays permanently in the graft site is variable and somewhat unpredictable. Because of this, you often need a few sessions of fat grafting to get to your goal. 

Commercial fillers are much more predictable. You have instant results and what you see is what you get. The problem with them is that they are mostly temporary lasting from 1-3 years depending upon which filler is used. When I see a patient for injectables, I analyze each individually. You may need a combination of two or three different fillers to achieve your goals...but it is impossible to say that there is "One best" filler for everyone. This is simply not true.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

+2
A combination of fillers to address naso labial, marionette lines, lip border, cheeks, chin, angle and temporal fossa, can rejuvenate the hollow face, if performed by an experienced injector.
Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Hollow Face

+2
Sculptra (Polylactic Acid) would be my choice of fillers for a hollow face. One vial of Sculptra is 8-9 ccs of volume, which is much higher than any other filler on the market and Sculptra lasts longer than any other filler on the market. More volume means more filler and a more significant result for one to two years.

Polylactic acid is a synthetic dermal filler that is injected into your face, causing your body’s own production of collagen. This type of dermal filler is known as a stimulator. This non-toxic, biodegradable substance has been used for more than 40 years as suture material. It’s known to work particularly well in the lower half of your face, to fill the lines caused by laughing, to augment thin lips and fill out deep nasolabial folds. This substance is unlike other dermal fillers because it doesn’t produce immediate results. Instead, it stimulates your own body’s collagen production, so results appear gradually over a period of a few months. Most patients need as many as two-three treatments to receive the desired result. The filler is commonly used over the cheekbones, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines. 

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Hollow face after fat transfer

+2
Hi. Unfortunately you lose more fat as you get older - if you liked the result of your initial fat transfer then i would do this again, as it can often last 5+ years. If you do not want a procedure then Juvederm Voluma is the best filler, lasting 12-18 months. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Hollow face post fat transfer - what next?

+2
Your options to increase fullness of the face = 
Fat graft again - techniques are improving
Sculptra - Injectible that typically takes 3 sessions
Voluma - Injectible single treatment
To fill in lines and creases: Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm 
Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Facial fillers

+2
Hi, fat transfer can be done again, if you liked the initial results. Other filler options vary depending on what the physician is used to using. Without a picture it is difficult to make specific suggestions, a consultation will be very helpful. I principally use Juvederm and belotero for facial fillers if for those patients that do not want lipofilling. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Hollow face

+1
If you had fat injection, then that might be reasonable to use again, or other fillers in the HA family like Perlane, Restylane or Juvederm or Voluma.  The HA's are absorbed and last from 6 months to more than a year.  Best to be seen in person.