Is It Okay to Go on a Cruise 5 Days After Upper Eye Lid Surgery?

Cruise after surgery

+1

I highly advise against it and would recommend planning to have your surgery at least a 2-3 weeks before or better yet after going on a cruise.

I prefer to have my patients near because if complications were to occur, they could come in and see me in person.  Furthermore, the first couple post-op appointments are the most important.

It MAY be okay....but you shouldn't do it!

+1

Of course, if your surgeon removes the sutures before you leave [if he/she uses absorbable sutures that don't need to come out], it might be just fine for you to leave.

The question is do you REALLY want to take a risk that something COULD potentially happen to compromise your results? For example, separation of the wound that would make the scar end up being less than idea.

The judicious decision would be to wait at least two weeks.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

UPPER EYE LID SURGERY

+1

I remove upper eyelid sutures in 5-7 days after surgery.  As a surgeon I would not feel comfortable with you going on a cruise 5 days after surgery. I like to see my patients during their post-op visits.  I would suggest that you have your surgery after your cruise.  If an infection should occur I would like to be available for you.

Cruising 5 days after surgery

+1
I love to cruise, too. Although I remove upper lid sutures after 3 days, I would not want you to go out of town 5 days postoperatively. You will be in a situation away from access to a plastic surgeon (unless one happens to be a fellow passenger1). Ships' doctors tend to be internists, not surgeons. If you were to develop an infection or complication, your vacation would be ruined. I do not think this is a judicious plan and would encourage you to keep the surgery and the vacation separated. Also, many cruises are to tropical locations which involve sun exposure, which is to be discouraged, particularly in the early postop period.

Cruise 5 days after surgery

+1

While it may be ok, I would say it isn't a good idea.  First, you must make sure that the doctor plans to remove the sutures by that time.  I usually keep mine in for 5-7 days.  Also if there is going to be a problem such as an infection or wound separation, it will happen during the first two weeks.  I like my patients to stay around town for that long if possible.  Sometimes emergent situations come up and if my patients can agree to get to SOME other surgeon nearby then I'll accept that.  However, on a cruise ship you are somewhat isolated and if there is a problem you may be limited in help.  More than likely everything will be fine, but since you are making an investment in time and effort, give yourself the chance for the best care afterwards as well.  That is half the battle!

Good luck

Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.