Cruise 4 1/2 Weeks After Breast Redux. Should I Be Concerned?

Surgery (4-5 hrs) planned May 10th. Cruise already scheduled from June 21st till June 29th. (including RT flights). Is this too close and/or a concern that it will be a cruise (Alaska). My PS says fine, but appreciate opinions.

Breast Reduction Recovery

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be the one who will be in the best position to determine your postoperative care as he/she she knows the scope of the surgery to be performed.  If you trusted him/her enough to have him/her perform the surgery, then trust in his/her guidance for postoperative care. 4 1/2 weeks sounds like sufficient time before travelling. In any event, use common sense and limit the amount that you lift heavy items during the trip. Enjoy yourself.

Recovery

+1

Your time frame should be no problem at all. Even if you were to have some minor healing issues, they would be resolved well in advance of your trip. You can proceed safely with the surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast reduction and trip

+1

4 and 1/2 weeks of recovery in most cases is usually enough time to heal from a breast reduction.  However, I do not let my patients perform esertional acitivity for 6-8 weeks. If you have healiing problems expect a longer recovery.

Alaska Cruise a Month After Breast Reduction

+1

Providing you do not suffer any complications after your Breast Reduction and you take precuations to lower the risk of blood clot formation (Deep venous thrombosis, DVT) there is NO reason why you could not go on a cruise a month after your surgery.

Enjoy your trip.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Breast reduction recovery and vacation

+1
If everything goes as planned, you should be able to enjoy your vacation Do not lift heavy baggage and discuss activity level with your plastic surgeon. I hope you purchased trip cancellation insurance in the even that you do have a complication which could interfere with your plans. Alaska cruising is pretty low-E. My biggest concern, if you did have a complication, is that the cruise doc might be have the ability to handle it. All the ships now have email and cell phone capability so take along your doctor's contact information and stay in touch, if necessary.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Cruise after Breast reduction?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Most likely, barring significant complications, you will be fine to proceed on the scheduled cruise. In the event of complications such as incision line/wound healing problems,  activities such as swimming may be contraindicated. Also, you may not be able to participate in strenuous “excursions”.

Check with your plastic surgeon regarding specific plans/activities.