Can Crow's Feet Be Merely Softened with Botox?

I'm a 52 yr old male. I hoped to have my crow's feet subtly softened but not eliminated. After my first Botox injections the crow's feet are completely gone. Can less Botox be given next time to leave some of the lines? Is this hard to do? Is this an uncommon request?

Injecting Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) is an art and may take time to find your customized dose

+2

Although we have standard dose ranges for each treatment area, the amounts administered can be customized for each individual. If you prefer a less dramatic result, simply ask your physicain to administer less Botulinum Toxin (Dysport or Botox) next time.

Botox can be used to subtly modulate crows feet

+2

Yes, botox is a modulator of muscle activity and it can be titrated to the desired effect. It is very common for some patients to seek a "fresh" but not "frozen" appearance that can come with too much botox in too many facial areas. There is a wide patient response to the same unit doses of Botox and it may take 1-3 sessions to achieve just the right unit does per areas response. Once you have titrated the amount of botox to the desired effect, it should be recorded, so similar effects and consistency can be achieved from visit to visit. Botox neuromodulation is often not about "no movement", but rather softer, less dramatic movement.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Softening Crows Feet

+1
This is possible. Prior to injection, please let your injector understand the subtle improvement you'd like to achieve and they will adjust the amount/technique.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Crows Feet Botox

+1
This is actually a common request, especially among our male patients. This natural result can be achieved by titrating the amount of Botox administered to meet the goals and expectations of the patient. The designated areas are treated with reduced amounts of Botox to relax the muscles, therefore smoothing out the area, but allowing small amounts of lines to be evident with facial expressions. Please consult with a physician who is highly trained in injecting BOTOX in the highly delicate areas around the eyes.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Botox be used ONLY to soften crow's feet lines?

+1

The answer to your question is yes, Botox can be used to soften the lines rather than make hem completely smooth.  The less product used, the more contraction you will have. The downside to your request is that your results will not last as long and you will likely have to visit your physician more often to maintain the softened appearance.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Each person's Botox treatment should be customized

+1

Each person's Botox treatment should be customized  to fit their specific aesthetic goals. With this in mind, a Dermatologist experienced in using Botox can acheive less or more effect depending on the strength of the person's facial muscles by using less or more Botox.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Gentle BOTOX

+1

Your request is not unusual.  BOTOX most certainly can be given in a small unit dose to "soften" the muscle activity in areas.  Relay your desire to your injector the next time you go for your maintenance injections.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Men's crow's feet

+1

You are right. For men in their 40s & 50s, it looks much more natural & cosmetically appealing if the lines are decreased in number & depth. Total elimination of the lines in this age group in men looks fake! It is a very reasonable & legitimate request. For my male patients, I always offer them this option & not the total line elimination.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely, crow's feet can be softened with Botox

+1

In my practice,  I see so many patients from other injectors who look completely frozen. Botox can easily be used to soften lines and not eliminate them once the dose is appropriately adjusted. I think that conservatism is key when injecting Botox.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Correcting crow's feet with Botox - key is realistic expectations

+1

Botox works only for dynamic wrinkles, but not the lines we have when we are not make a facial expression (such as smiling). The result of botox depends on your age when you started regular injections, since the longer you wait, the more likely that you will have non-correctable lines.

Isabel Zhu, MD, PhD
Boulder Dermatologist