Crowns, Veneers, or just keep replacing fillings? Are Veneers reliable? Can Crowns be made to look more like My teeth? (photo)

I just had half of my deep cleaning done & the dentist wanted to talk about plan for my front teeth. I have 2 huge fillings they say can't be replaced when they break, which they say could happen any day now. My insurance does't cover enough to allow me to get 4-6 crowns across the front & I've seen pictures of people who OBVIOUSLY have crowns, so I don't want to do just 1 or 2 & have them be obvious, my teeth are translucent not solid white like a crown. Help,, don't know what to do. Thanks

Veneers

+1

veneers its your option, you can change ,shape,size,and color, are fine laminates of porcelain,that once they are set, they would look natural,and you would have a beautiful smile,again,its not a complicated treatment, and they would not stain, since they are porcelain,not like your resins,

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns, Veneers, or just keep replacing fillings? Are Veneers reliable? Can Crowns be made to look more like My teeth?

+1

First of all, if you want a natural looking result do not get porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns (PFMs) on your front teeth. If you get porcelain crowns and want them to look good, all-ceramic crowns with no metal underneath are the best way to go, preferably in a material like EMax.

Regarding veneers or crowns, as long as you have substantially good tooth structure, veneers and a healthier way to go instead of crowns (even all-porcelain crowns). You will have less sensitivity, healthier teeth and gums, less chance of a root canal later with veneers than full crowns. One study cited that full crowns compared to porcelain veneers, resulted in the underlying tooth being half as strong. Thus, in my mouth (I'm a dentist), would much rather have porcelain veneers than full crowns.

Regarding dental insurance, don't hold your breath that dental insurance will ever cover the cost of the best treatment for you. It will pay a portion, but rarely today do we see insurance plans covering the majority of costs of 4-6 crowns, and almost always allows and pays for porcelain veneers.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns Veneers or Replace Fillings

+1

Everything depends on the experience and talent of your Cosmetic Dentist. You will get what you pay for. A very skilled Cosmetic Dentist can replace your fillings with new bonded fillings that will match your teeth. Same can be said for 2 Veneers or 2 Crowns. HOWEVER, most dentists are NOT highly skilled and trained in cosmetics, and cannot match 2 teeth to the rest of mouth.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist