Possible to Match the Colors of Crowns and Veneers?

I want to get crowns and veneers on 8 front teeth. I already have 2 crowns 1 on the front tooth and another on the side tooth. I am concerned that my crowns may look brighter/differnet next to the veneers? Will it be a disprancy with how they look in the light or the should all look the same? Will I get a better result with all crowns?

Matching new veneers to existing crowns

+2

It is a challenge to match new restorations to the old one, especially in the front teeth. I would recommend to have 8 front teeth to be done at the same time. Done properly by a qualified dental technician and dentist, it is possible to achieve great results with matching porcelain veneers and new crowns, made out of the same material. After creating natural looking smiles for over 20 years, I believe you will be much happier with an end result going that way.

Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Tricky

+1

It will be a little hard.

There will always be a very slight difference because of the thickness of the materials.

All crowns is a solution but might be a little aggressive.

Make sure you have the technician who will make your crowns/veneers see photos of the teeth after they are prepared/exposed.

Your dentist will help you with that.

Dr.K.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Color Matching Veneers to Crowns

+1

Without question crowns and veneers can be matched to look the same.  The question is what kind of crowns do you have?  Are your current crowns all porcelain or to they have any metal in them.  If they are porcelain fused to metal crowns they will be much more difficult to match because they reflect light differently than do all porcelain crowns.  In that case I would replace the two crowns when you are doing the others.  If they are all porcelain, a very high end dental lab can match them off of digital pictures taken by your cosmetic dentist. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and crowns can be matched

+1

The most important factor in successful matching is the skill of the cosmetic team you are working with. A skillful ceramist can match anything, but that said, it may be difficult to do and they may need a few tries to do it so you can expect to pay more if you are demanding a single tooth be matched to another if it is a difficult match.

If you are changing out the crowns and doing all the veneers at the same time it can become a lot easier to match and the dentist and ceramist can create a more predictable outcome. I would recommend replacing everything all at once to make it more predictable.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

My lab can easily match crowns and veneers

+1

If you have a good lab and an experienced dentist you should not have any problems. Before he or she cements them have them try them in your mouth and see if you like them..if they dont match then have them remade...Your DDS should be willing to do that for you.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Matching the color of the crown and veneers

+1

It depends what type of a crown you have. If it is an all porcelain crown, the answer is yes but if you have a crown with metal core then it is impossible because they do not reflect light the same way so you get different effect and the color will be off.

The dentist also need to know what kind of a porcelain was used for your crown and use the same type of porcelain for your veneer.

Kate Sahafi, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Matching existing crowns with veneers can be very challenging

+1

Quite often the color of a front tooth is very different than the side tooth, and communicating shades to labs can be a big challenge (photographs can shift colors, monitors are different, etc).

The most predictable method is to have all teeth restored at the same time by the same lab technician with the same material (including the ones already done).  This way all colors are mapped correctly and everything can match as well as possible.  The fee may be a little more, but the results are worth it.

Anything less is a compromise and expectations should be lower.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Matching New Veneers to Existing Crowns

+1

My recommendation to you would be to do all of the teeth together (replacing the existing crowns). This will give your cosmetic dentist the freedom to make the veneers as beautiful as possible - and not be limited to what you already have. Adding these 2 more teeth into your treatment plan will be a significant investment, however if you're going to spend the money on a new smile -- do you want to have barriers limiting how beautiful your dentist can make the porcelain? Also -- when making this investment -- make sure you have an experienced cosmetic dentist working for you.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist