Can a Recent Crown Not Be Removed in Whole and Replaced After a Root Canal?

This was not an option given by my dentist. Two options were to drill through the existing crown, or saw off the crown and replace with another crown, but doesn't that involve removing the rest of the crown anyways? My crown is less than a year old, and I don't feel like paying for another at this point.

Recent Crown Does Not Have to be Removed After Root Canal

+2

As long as the dentist made a small access hole in order to do the Root Canal thru the existing crown, and as long as it is a well-fitting crown with no decay around the margins, then you should be fine with a small filling over the access hole.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Root canal through newer crown

+2

It is standard practice in dentistry to make a small hole in a crown during root canal in order to access the root system.  After the root canal is completed a permanent filling will be placed in the hole and you should no longer have a problem with the tooth.  I would not worry about it and I certainly would not want the whole crown done again.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Usually a root canal can be done without having to replace the crown.

+1

Most times, a root canal can be done by drilling through the crown, then sealed up after the procedure. The risk is small, but there are occasions where the drilling causes the porcelain to fracture, and a new crown would be required.

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth with Crown needs root canal treatment

+1

Generally not a problem to create an access opening through the crown, perform the root canal treatment and close up the hole with a filling.  It is unlikely the crown will have any adverse issue unless the reason for needing the root canal treatment is due to leakage or decay around the margin of the crown.  If everything is intact, it's best to leave it in place. Removing a crown is not an easy task without damaging it.

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Root canal after placement of crown.

+1

You can access the canals to do root canal through your existing crown. Go to a root canal specialist to do so. Endodontist can do it an not brake your crown, as they are specialists and know how to perform root canals in tight spaces. then get a illing inthe access hole and save your crown. 

To answer your question, crowns cannot be pulled off and put back on.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Root canal through the crown

+1

In the situation when the root canal is needed, it can be performed through the crown. The access is later covered with composite material. The existing crown do not need to be changed if it has good marginal adaptation and is in good shape.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist