I Had a Crown Put on a Back Molar in July, 2012. A Piece Broke off 8 Months Later. My Dentist Was Great, He Replaced It for Me?

I had the new crown on for 8 days and it broke again. What is going on? Is it me? The person who makes the crown? Or my dentist?

Broken Crown

+1

Chances are your dentist is not to blame.  The newer crowns like Lava don't always have the proper design under the porcelain to give the porcelain adequate support like the old porcelain fused to metal crowns.  Either the lab needs to change the design of the substructure or the type of crown needs to be changed to an all Zirconia crown.

Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Broken Crown

+1

Are you a grinder or clencher? If so, that can be your problem.  Ask your dentist if the crown can be made with a stronger material or a full gold crown.  Also, he may wish to adjust your bite so you are not hitting the tooth too hard when you bite or chew

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Broken Porcelain Crown

+1

There may not be enough room for the porcelain. Porcelain crows need to be 1.5mm thick. If they are thinner than that they tend to break. Ask your dentist about redoing the crown in Zirconia. Zirconia is tooth colored and can be made very thin (0.7mm). 

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist