Is a crown prep that requires treating a cavity in the tooth a separate charge?

I recently needed to replace an existing crown on a molar. There was decay at the margin, so I was charged for a separate procedure to 'build up' the tooth. Is this standard?

Is a crown prep that requires treating a cavity in the tooth a separate charge

+1

If there was insufficient tooth structure to place a good crown with good retention, and the dentist felt that he should do a "build up' with composite resin there is a separate fee code for this. Sometimes dentists will include this with the crown fee, and other times not. Some dental insurances will not pay for build ups, and thus the dentist has to decide on either not doing a build up or not charging for the additional work that he does.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Crown Prep and Separate Charge for a Cavity in Same Tooth

+1

Every dentist is different. In my practice, a charge for a Crown includes all decay removal. However, if so much tooth structure was missing due to the decay, necessitating a "core build-up", then an additional charge is justified.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist