I Had a Crown on my Two Front Teeth at Age 12, Now 28 Years Later One is Loose. What is the Process?

Can they strenghten the loose tooth? Does it have to be taken out and a new crown fitted? Please prep me for the process because I do not favor going through any dental process.

Loose crown

+1

As many of the responders indicated, the first step is to have a dentist evaluate what is going on and what made the crowns get loose.   Options can vary from re-cementing the two crowns, to complete replacement.   Another aspect is the appearance of the teeth.  You may be perfectly happy with them, or, after 28 years, you may be dissatisfied with their color and/or appearance.    You dentist will present their findings to you and go over all options.  Should the crowns need to be replaced for any reason, make sure you select someone who feels comfortable in matching the crowns to the rest of your teeth as this can be extremely challenging. 

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Loose crown

+1

The first part of the process is to discover why the crown is loose. If you have dental anxiety it is important that you see someone you trust who will take the time to help you understand what is going on. The treatment can range from recementing to a new crown, if there is decay it may involve more treatment. Good luck!

Bernice Szafarek, DMD
Hartford Cosmetic Dentist

Loose Crown

+1

You need to see a dentist for an exam and x-ray to determine what's going on. The crown could be loose, or possibly the entire tooth, it could be difficult for you to tell the difference yourself. If the crown is loose and the tooth structure under it is solid, then the crown can be re-cemented at that time.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Crown Loose 28 years Later

+1

It might be as simple as a loose crown that needs new cement and can easily be recemented. Go see a dentist, ASAP, while this simple solution might still be possible.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Crown

+1

Aside from being loose, are the crowns still the same color as your sorrounding teeth?  Do they fit well?  If you answer yes to the above, the crown can probably be recemented.  If the answer(s) is no, then both crowns should be removed and new crowns made.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

I need a crown what is the process?

+1

First make an appointment with a dentist , then have radiograph taken to review the tooth structure, then impression and photos are taken have your teeth cleaned and normally with a CEREC system your crowns can be completed in one visit if your dentist doesn" have a CEREC unit and most don't you will wear a temporary for 1-2 weeks and then have the crown tried in and if happy it will be inserted good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist