If a Crown Only Lasted a Year Do I Have to Pay for a New One?

Crown only lasting a year

+2

It is not normal for a crown to only last one year.  Most insurance companies will pay for crown replacement every 5 years or so.  In my experience I have found you should at least see a crown last that length of time; I have seen crowns last up to 30 years though.  A lot depends on home care and lab work.  I would suggest you discuss this with the doctor who placed your crown.  The labs we use warranty their work, if it was due to failure of the materials they will replace it up to 5 years.  If you developed tooth decay around the margin of the crown, that would probably be something, again, you should discuss with your dentist.  Teeth are an investment, just like any investment you want to make sure you take care of them.  Homecare is key to long term retention of any dentistry.

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Crown lasted a year--do I have to pay

+1

Every dentist has their own policy on what happens if something breaks.  We watch over our dentistry for 1 year without any problems.  We also repair any dentistry that may break at a reduced fee for years one through five.  

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Depends why the crown only lasted one year

+1

If the failure was due to abuse like chewing ice, grinding or lack or oral hygiene then it is only fair to pay for a percentage. I typically would only charge for the lab fee in a case like this. However my crown fee is rather high. If the failure was due to a material failure, or poor fit, then I re-do the crown at no charge.

This is my personal policy. .

The best thing is to talk it over with your doctor and come to an agreement. If you still think it is nor fair, you could contact your local dental association and have them help you out.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Should You Pay for a Crown that Only Lasted a Year?

+1

If you have a permanent crown that only lasted a year, it would depend on the office you went to and their policies and warranties on crowns.  In our office, we have a 1-2 year warranty on all of our crowns and veneers.  If anything should happen we cover it 100%, unless it came out due to patient negligence.  Certain labs also have their own warranties on crowns that they can pass along to the dentist.  If insurance is involved they may not pay to redo the crown if there is a replacement limit.  It's typically in the best interest of the dentist to listen to the patient, take their individual case into consideration, and redo the crown at no charge to retain good customer relations.  Of course, it's all based on a per case basis.

Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Dentist

Crown Only Lasted a Year. Pay Again?

+1

Every office has its own financial policy. Why did the crown only last a year? Did it fracture? Did your tooth decay? Talk it over with your dentist and find out why it only lasted 1 year.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

You should not be paying

+1

Every office operates differently but as a gesture of good faith most offices should not charge you again for new crown. At the very least you should get some discount towards a new crown. Hope this helps.

Irvine Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.