Do I Need a Crown After a Root Canal on a Veneered Tooth

I've have veneers on my front 6 teeth, In the past few years I've needed root canals on the canine tooth and tooth next to my front tooth. Now my dentist is pushing me toward taking the veneer off these teeth and adding a crown. Does this seem right? I don't want to go through this procedure if I don't have to. Can't I just leave them alone? There's barely any discoloration, the doctor just says it'll be more sturdy. I'm worried about my gums as well, they're already sensitive in the area.

Root canal therapy weakens teeth

+1

After a tooth is hollowed out for root canal therapy, the tooth is prone to fracture.  A crown helps prevent tooth loss from fracture, but is no guarantee.  If the veneered teeth required significant removal of tooth structure to do the job, a crown MAY a good idea.  A post will certainly weaken to tooth further (requires even MORE hollowing out of the tooth) and absolutely would mean a crown afterwards.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Crown for Root Canal Tooth

+1

Typically on front teeth, you will be fine with a veneer covering the tooth after a root canal.  The exceptions may be if the tooth is fractured or has developed further decay.  Often times the less done to front teeth the better.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

What is The Recommendation For a Front Tooth After a Root Canal?

+1

The recommendation for your front veneer tooth after a root canal is to leave it.  If your veneer looks great and has no decay issues, you should be  fine.  A crown replacement does not necessarily mean it will be more sturdy.  For more strength, you can have a post bonded to  the inside of the veneered tooth after the root canal is done although the literature is mixed on if that helps or not.  Be careful with what you eat-No tearing, no ice chewing, don't bite into carmels and gooey foods as well as apples and corn on the cob.  A little prevention will go a long way-Enjoy your smile-Take care of your gums with regular cleanings!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer or Crown for Front Tooth With A Root Canal?

+1

You will probably be fine to leave your veneer since this is a front incisor.  When you have a root canal on a molar or premolar (back teeth) it is always better to place a full coverage crown due to the amount of force they take when chewing.  When a root canal is performed the blood supply is cut of to the tooth and the tooth gets no nutrients.  This makes the tooth become brittle making it wise to place the crown.  A front tooth does not take as much force and usually will be fine without a crown.  There is always a chance a front tooth could fracture without a crown, but the odds are against it. Hope this helps. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Do I Need a Crown After a Root Canal on a Veneered Tooth?

+1

Some teeth need root canals after dental treatments. Research shows that's necessary about 6% of the time. In your case it would be important to know what happened that the root canal was required. If you have an open margin or new decay around your old porcelain veneers, then you ought to have a new crown.

Part of your issue sounds like a communication gap. Whatever your dentist told you about the new crowns still is making you feel pushed into it. If there is a structural reason, then he ought to be able to clearly demonstrate that. In our office I use a lot of digital photographs. In a situation like this, if the veneer were starting to crack, or there was a margin that was getting a new cavity, then you could see that for yourself.

I'd ask a few more questions, and if possible try to get some photos of the area. You may want to also discuss that you are satisfied the way they look now, and that you are worried that new work may make your gums more sensitive yet.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Does a Veneered Tooth Need a Crown after a Root Canal

+1

In most cases, no.  If the endodontic access on the back of the tooth is small and the veneer was not weakened and looks good, you should be fine.  Things could change over the years ahead but in most cases no further treatment is needed.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Crown vs veneer for front tooth which has root canal

+1

I believe posterior (Back) teeth that have a root canal should have a crown done.  In the front my philosophy is less is more.  If you already have a veneer on your front teeth and they had a root canal I believe it can remain as a veneer unless there is something wrong with the veneer or veneers.  Hope this helps

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Crowning root canaled teeth that have veneers

+1

The decision to crown a veneered tooth following a root canal is very much dependent on the amount of remaining natural tooth structure and your bite, meaning the amount of pressure and force that is placed on that particular tooth when you put your teeth together and chew your food.  Both of these factors need to be carefully evaluated by the dentist before making the call. 

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Need for crown after a root canal on a veneered tooth

+1

It is not required to put a crown on a veneered tooth which receives a root canal if there is sufficient tooth structure left for strength.  You said you have had these root canals done over the last few years; if they have held through that time then that is a good sign of their strength. You do have to realize you have a greater danger of them breaking then your other teeth and you will need to be careful.  There are always choices, ask your dentist or get a second opinion.  Good luck!

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns not always needed on front teeth

+1

I am a believer that less is sometimes more when it comes to front teeth.  Whenever there is a choice of treatments that are effective in a given situation, I would always choose the most conservative option.  In this case, that would be the veneer.  The key is that there must be a choice of equally effective options.  There are certain things to consider in answering your question.  Without seeing your teeth it is difficult to say with 100% certainty that one way is better than the other. 

*  A vulnerable area of a front tooth is the "neck" of the tooth.  This is the area where the tooth meets the root.  Because of the way that the forces of the lower tooth against the upper tooth are directed during chewing and/or grinding-clenching, the tooth could be susceptible to fracturing at the gum-line.

*  Does the tooth have fillings in it already that might make it weaker in the "neck" area?

*  Do you grind your teeth?

Many teeth that have veneers are still very strong.  They have not had any fillings placed in them, and the only dental work that has been done on them is the thin veneer.  In this type of case I do not usually recommend crown placement just because of a root canal treatment.  In a tooth like this, the maximum amount of tooth structure still exists in the neck area.  Placing a crown although not wrong, in my opinion compromises the strength of the tooth.

Teeth that have fillings however, especially in the neck area are more susceptible to fracturing after root canal treament.  Placing a crown in this case could have the effect of strengthening the tooth.  If your tooth falls into this category, I would say that your dentist is probably right to suggest the crown. 

Ask him what his reasoning is for the recommendation, and ask what the condition of your teeth are presently.  I hope this will help you in your decision process. 

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist