Invisalign Vs Invisalign Express for Crowded Teeth

I just had a consultation for Invisalign and the doctor told me that he can straighten my teeth with Invisalign express but that there is no way to widen my arch unless I use the full program Invisalign.

Don't they both work the same way but for different levels of severity? How could Invisalign express straighten my teeth without widening my arch?

We all agree, Invisalign express is very limited

+3

The express case is very limited. Arch expansion will allow more room for the front teeth to fall into place without having to do alot of sanding and stripping of enamel in between them to create space. Express cases usually rely only on the sanding of teeth to straighten the crooked teeth.

The full case is really best because we widen the arch first then only do the stripping if absolutely necessary. Most people look better with a wider arch. Look at Michael Phelps, the gold medal winner. He has narrow arches and could be much more handsome with wider arches. I would love to have him as a patient for Invisalign. I could transform his smile in 12 months.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign express

+3

Simply put, Invisalign express refers to treatment that only requires 10 aligners to achieve your goal. The aligners are replaced every two weeks, therefore treatment will take 5 months or less.

If your treatment is more complex it may require more than 10 aligners and more time.

In your particular case, widening the arch may take longer than the alloted 10 aligners, and you may not be a candidate for invisalign express.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Limited Case Selection with Invisalign Express

+2

There are very few cases treatable with Express. Ten aligners is not a lot. That is basically 20 weeks of treatment. If your treatment can be completed with fixed braces in 20 weeks, you may be able to do this with Express.

Keep in mind that after regular Invisalign, there is the opportunity to do up to 3 refinements. With Express, you can pay for a detailing set, an additional short course of trays made without having your provider approve your treatment. You can pay for refinement, which allows your provider to dictate the movement of your teeth. However, by adding on the detailing set and/or refinement, the cost of the treatment starts to come very close to the cost of regular Invisalign.

Toronto Orthodontist

Invisalign express is designed for minimal adjustments

+2

To make significant movement to teeth, you will definitely need time for the teeth to adjust. Widening the arch would fall under more extensive treatement. Remember, Newton's laws apply to everything: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That means as you try to move one tooth you are pushing on other teeth and causing them to move as well. It will take a lot more time to make significant adjustments, like widening an arch.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Express just means 10 aligners or less

+1

If it is possible to get your teeth straight with 10 aligners or less, then Express can be used.  If the arch can be widened in that many aligners, then you are right, Express should work too.  It seems your dentist feels that your case won't widen in so few aligners.  You likely will get SOME widening, but perhaps not as much as you hope unless you do the full treatment.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/invisalign-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Express may not be for all cases

+1

Invislaign Express is 10 trays or less and may not accomplish everything in the treatment goals if you require more movement. Every case is unique, but there are safety measures that allows only a certain amount of movement with each tray so there is no bone loss or other complications.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Difference is in duration and number of aligners

+1

The mere difference between Invisalign and Invisalign Express is the number of aligners. Any case we can do for under 10 aligners is considered Invisalign Express. It depends upon the severity of the malocclusion.

I tend to move the teeth slowly, as there is more tendency of relapse if you move them too fast. I usually use Invisalign Express for very minor crowding. You cannot change arch alignments in under 10 aligners.

Bellevue Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.