Crooked/uneven Nose After Septorhinoplasty. Cause for Concern or Normal Part of Healing? (photos)

To make this short and sweet, my procedure was done on 12/15/11 and although my nostrils were slightly uneven to begin with, my nose AND my nostrils are noticeably more uneven and crooked at this point in time, 6 weeks post-op. The goal was a straighter, more symmetrical nose and it's now incredibly crooked looking. Is this normal, will it change, or is a revision probably necessary? Can it really go from this crooked to even, in time? Thanks in advance for any insight! (Bef/Aft pics attached.)

Is a crooked nose after surgery due to swelling?

+2

In the majority of cases the answer is no. The exceptions are if more surgery (and hence trauma) was performed on that side, there was an unfortunate injury following surgery, and if the patient slept exclusively on the same side. These situations are all uncommon. The usual cause for crookedness to appear after surgery is structural. The septum, nasal bones or nasal tip cartilages are no longer symmetric. As time goes on, it becomes more and more obvious what the underlying reason is.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty.

+2

It takes 6-12 months for the swelling to go down. Your surgeon can advise you at 3 months if this is improving or whether a revision may be necessary. You can get a second opinion then if you would like .

Crooked nose is not a normal part of healing

+2

It would be nice to think it so, but a nose that is crooked six weeks after rhinoplasty will not straighten itself out during healing. If it is not straight as the splint comes off, bets are off too.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Yo have fair amount of swelling

+2

It is too early to discuss revision. You have some facial asymmetry that contributes the nasal deviation. I would wait 6-12 months before reevaluation.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Healing after rhinoplasty

+2

My main advice to you at this point, is to be patient and try not to be too concerned (I know it is hard!).

You are still very early after a rhinoplasty, and as I am sure you have heard, the healing process takes a long time to completely settle. In the first two or three months it is common to see quite a bit of asymmetry that often times will settle down. This can be due to uneven swelling from side to side, which hopefully will recede with time.

Do try and relax for the next few months. From your photographs, it is apparent that there is still quite a bit of swelling in the nose which is appropriate for six weeks out from surgery.

Wishing you all the best,

-Dr. Jamil Asaria

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked, Uneven Nose 6 Weeks Post Septorhinoplasty

+1

I agree with your observations, but this may be due to the normal, temporary post-op swelling. I understand that it always looks worse on our own face, but this may pass. Patience is necessary.