Can I Re-Break My Nose For Aesthetic Results At-Home?

Hello my name is Christina and I broke my nose about 6 months ago, I didn't even know it was broke,I ended up not seeing a doctor and it healed crooked.Im a 22 year old college student so i can't really spend 5,000 dollars to get it straightened,however my boyfreind broke his nose 4 years ago and he perfectly straightened it himself his was alot worse.I'm thinking about rebreaking it and having him straighten it because it's embarrising.If i do would i have to rebreak the exact same area?

Breaking your own nose is not advised

+1

Although your boyfriend was able to reposition his nose, it is likely he did it when his nose was already mobile. In addition, he was lucky. Your nose is healed into its new position at this point. By attempting to break your own nose, you run the real risk of making it worse and even creating additional problems with breathing (not sure if you have it now). Instead, you would really benefit from a skilled physician specializing in rhinoplasty who can precisely make bony cuts (osteotomies) in order to reposition the nose. Yes, this costs money, but there are typically financing options, or clinics where trainees perform surgery at low cost. Being in Chicago, you have many options with several prominent facial plastic surgeons who have well-trained fellows who could do your work. Check with Dr. Dean Toriumi's office and ask if they have fellow rates. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rebreaking nose

+1

If you are thinking of rebreaking your own nose or having your boyfriend do it......please think again its a very bad idea.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I re break my nose at home, myself?

+1

You're kidding me, right?  You want to break your own nose and then ask your boyfriend to jam the nasal bones back toether because you think this is a good way for you to get a straight and normal looking nose?  There are so many things wrong with this logic that I'm at a loss at where to even start.

1. You have no idea of what type of trauma you'd cause by breaking your own nose.
  2. Why would you sunject yourself to that kind of pain?
  3. What makes you think your boyfriend has a clue of what to do or how to treat your broken nose?

IMHO, this is one of the dummest things that I have ever heard after over 20 years as a plastic and cosmetic surgeon...leave yourself alone and leave the Rhinoplasty surgery to the trained experts please.

Re-breaking your own nose

+1

What a weird question.  Of course you should not attempt to re-break your nose.  You should seek a surgical opinion not a Fight Club consultation. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Rhinoplasty for low cost.

+1

No! What you should do is call the Ear, Nose and Throat dept. of the nearest teaching medical center to find out if they have a program for teaching supervised residents.

Breaking nose

+1

Do not attempt to do this. At this time you need a controlled osteotomy. Try and find a teaching hospital and see if thay will do this at little or no cost. Also, check out your insurance

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Do-It- Yourself Nose surgery is NOT a Bright Idea

+1

Regarding - "I broke my nose about 6 months ago, I didn't even know it was broke,I ended up not seeing a doctor and it healed crooked.Im a 22 year old college student so i can't really spend 5,000 dollars to get it straightened,however my boyfreind broke his nose 4 years ago and he perfectly straightened it himself his was alot worse.I'm thinking about rebreaking it and having him straighten it because it's embarrising.If i do would i have to rebreak the exact same area?"

This MUST be a joke. There is a saying among doctors that "a doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient". If doctors should not be treating themselves or members of their families, just how dangerous do you think it would be for a non-medically trained person to perform his/her own operation?

In a Rhinoplasty, nose surgery, the nose bones are carefully broken along SPECIFIC pre-designed fracture lines carried out with a very narrow and sharp bone owl (osteotome). We do not create these fracture by merely smacking our patients' nose with a mallet or punching them in the nose and allowing the break the way it wants to.

I would seriously caution you NOT to do this. It will NEVER make your nose prettier but may make its appearance and breathing worse.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Breaking Nose at Home to Straighten Crooked Nose

+1

Hi Christina,

LOL!!!!   What's next, open heart surgery at home?  Unless your boyfriend is a board certified rhinoplasty specialist, I would avoid rebreaking your nose.  I see that you are a college student, perhaps a course in common sense this upcoming semester.  You should look into the nearest medical school or training hospital where even the young residents will have a  lifetime's more experience fixing broken noses than you boyfriend.  Surgeries at teaching centers are greatly discounted.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Breaking your nose at home for aesthetic results

+1

Absolutely do not do this.  Aesthetic rhinoplasty can be a challenge in the first place.  Trying to break it at home in the hope of making it better is ill advised and just plain dumb, (sorry to be so blunt).  Your risk of hurting yourself and creating a more complex problem is high.  Your chances of making it look better are about zero.  Please go to a board certified Otolaryngologist (ENT) or Plastic Surgeon.  Let them evaluate what your situation is, both inside and outside of the nose.  They may also be able to help with cost as sometimes things can be covered by insurance.  Again, pleasedo not attempt to break your nose at home...

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Don't personally try to rebreak your nose at home!

+1

You know the warning that you frequently hear or read about concerning actions or activities that are not safe or not recommended for untrained individuals: "Do not try this at home"? This applies to your proposition regarding re-breaking your nose to straighten it our.

DON'T do it!  There are many reasons for this which include significant injury to yourself, creating more severe and complex deformities and a 0% likelihood that you will correct the problem on your own.

Wait until you can afford the appropriate treatment that can be administered by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD