What can I do about a crooked nose 2 years on?

2 years ago, my nose was broken when a football hit me in the face and now my nose has bent towards the right side of my face. Recently I have noticed that my nose is becoming more crooked and I am experiencing alot of pain. I previously have had a polyp treated with nasal spray but i was wondering whether it could be that, that was causing the pain and increased crookedness.

Crooked nose

+1
Hello, and sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced. It is difficult to determine what is causing your discomfort without performing an exam. In regard to a crooked nose, it is important to understand the following:

1) Correcting a crooked nose is a very difficult procedure
2) It is not always possible to get the nose completely straight, but great improvements can be made.

A nasal polyp may result in breathing issues, but will not cause a crooked nose. I would recommend an exam with a specialist, as he/she will help determine the cause of your issue. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
There are many effective treatments available for the issues you describe. However, an in person examination would be required to make any specific recommendations for you. Typically for the issues you describe an ENT/ Facial Plastic Surgeon would be the best single specialist to address polyps, nasal trauma and deviation of your nose. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose, crooked, sinus polyps

+1
A broken and crooked nose and sinus polyps are all treated differently.  A broken nose is treated with medial and lateral osteotomies to straighten the nasal bones. Occasionally a spreader graft is replaced on the concave side to help with symmetry  and to improve breathing.
A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes to  change the shape of the nose  which includes shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the tip,  and narrowing the nostrils.
Endoscopic sinus surgery employs telescopes inside the nose to open up sinus cavities, place windows inside the sinuses and remove polyps to prevent recurring sinus infections.
All 3 of these surgeries can be performed simultaneously, however the cosmetic portion of the nose must be paid for by the patient.

Post-traumatic nasal deformity

+1
The continued changes with your nose imply that the cartilage was fractured and weakening over time.  In light of what could be sinus issues as well, you should be thoroughly evaluated by an experienced nasal surgeon.  They will look into whether you have sinus or other functional internal nasal issues that can be addressed at the same time as the rhinoplasty to straighten your nose, which is a very common procedure.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon