Possible to Get Straighter Nose with Revision Rhinoplasty?

Ok, so I had a rhinoplasty operation a few years ago. My nose was quite more crooked then it is right now. My surgeon says that my face is quite uneven which limits the possibility of having a straighter nose. I was wondering if there have been any recent developments in crooked nose revisions.

Revision rhinoplasty to straighter nose

+2

Yes, according to the picture shown, it is possible to get a straighter nose. Facial asymmetry can sometimes be a problem in rhinoplasty. However, your nose is quite crooked and could be straightened. Both medial and lateral osteotomies need to be performed. In addition a spreader graft would also be placed on the concave side of the upper lateral cartilage to augment the collapsed side. Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries and who is very well versed in a crooked nose surgery.

Crooked nose

+1

the photos are very helpful - good job

Correcting a crooked nose is not easy but based on your photos there appears to be room for improvement

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

+1

There is no part of our bodies that is symmetrical. Your nose can probably be made straighter, but perfection is an unrealistic expectation. There aren't any new techniques - the use of fillers, placement of grafts, or the repositioning of  existing bone or cartilage are all used depending on the needs of each patient.

Crooked nose

+1

A crooked nose can be made straighter, but I caution patients that it more than likely will never be perfectly straight.  There are no specific new techniques to improve a crooked nose.

Crooked nose versus crooked face

+1

It's no uncommon that some patients have a skewed or crooked face and not just a crooked nose. In those rhinoplasty cases, I find it best to try to create a linear nose, but one whose line follows the skew of the face. This seems to look more natural than a nose that's linear and vertical but is not centered on the face.

Any remaining contour issues, if small, can be tweaked with in-office injections of fillers: temporary ones to start with and then permanent ones (e.g., Artefill) if the patient likes the look of the temporary ones.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to straighten a crooked nose

+1

I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty surgery. It is possible to straighten out a persistently crooked nose especially with grafting to camoflauge depressed areas or deviated areas that cannot be made straighter. Living in Toronto, you might want to consider seeing Dr. David Ellis or Dr. Peter Adamson who are very well known rhnoplastic surgeons in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options.

computer imaing can help in the analysis of the face and nose.

The nose can be straightened may require multiple cartilage grafts, mainly rin cartilage graft

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

It's difficult to give you advice without seeing your photos, but in general, a slightly crooked nasal appearance may be improved with an Injectable Filler treatment: especially if the crooked appearance is due to a slight indentation seen on your frontal view. I prefer Silikon-1000 for permanent results.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon