Crooked Nose Four Months After Rhinoplasty?

It has been four months since my Rhinoplasty and the top of the nose bridge feels crooked. Is this due to swelling, still? It doesn't appear to be crooked, but I can feel it when I run my ringers along the sides. The left side seems to have cartilage poking out a little more than the right side.

Crooked nose 4 months after rhinoplasty

+1

You will still be swollen 4 months after your rhinoplasty, and it is not abnormal to have some irregularities. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. While you are healing, I would recommend communicating any concerns with your surgeon. He/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. Every patient heals differently, and after you have healed your surgeon will be able to provide you with advice regarding whether or not you are a candidate for a touch up. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. 

Irregularities after rhinoplasty

+1

Irregularities under the skin are fairly common after rhinoplasty. This usually gets better with time as things heal, but they may not go away completely.

Irregularities that can be felt but not seen early in the postop course following rhinoplasty.

+1

During nasal reshaping surgery, it is never possible to create a perfectly smooth structure of bone and cartilage over the nasaL bridge, particularly when the dorsum is reduced.  In the majority of cases, however, the irregularities are minor and fortunately camouflaged by the overlying soft tissues.  During the first several months, as the soft tissue swelling subsides, these irregularities may or may not become visible.  If at 1 year postop, they are visible you can proceed with a minor revision procedure to correct them should you desire to do so.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

If problems become visible after swelling goes away you may consider a revision

+1

At this point it is a bit early to draw conclusions about the final appearance and contour of the nose.  If the irregularities you feel eventually do become visible once the swelling goes away, a small revision may be helpful to create better symmetry and smoothness to your nose.  Remember, the dorsum, because it is linear with distinct light/shadow border, is an "unforgiving" area.  That is, even small imperfections can be discerned because the eye is sensitive to interruptions of a straight line. Small adjustments in this area are generally readily performed in a revision, however.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregularities of the nasal dorsum following a rhinoplasty may be completely normal

+1

Post operative swelling and healing of the nasal bone after a rhinoplasty are normal.  Sometimes you will feel an irregularity but it does not visually appear abnormal.   In this case just give it time and it should get better.  Bring it to your plastic surgeon's attention at your next follow up visit.  

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

+1
Actually, it is very common to feel 'irregular' areas on the bridge which you cannot see after rhinoplasty. As a rule, if the nose looks well, let it be.

Crooked nose

+1

It is common to have irregularities that can be felt and not seen. they do not require any treatment. If you are seeing visible deformities then talk to your surgeon about them. Good luck.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

At 4 months following rhinoplasty, you will still have some degree swelling from surgery. If the nose looks straight along the bridge, then how it feels under the skin should not be an issue. However, if the cartilage is "poking out" as you describe, and you have some asymmetry, this concern should be addressed with your plastic surgeon. An exam by your surgeon is the best way to determine if your problems are temporary or permanent.

Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD