I Have a Crooked Nose from an Injury Years Ago when I Was About 14 Years Old... Now I'm 25 Years Old. Am I Covered?

I was living on the east coast all my life and just recently moved out to Arizona. Not 2 weeks in I started getting constant congestion and discomfort toward the right side of my nose (the direction my nose is bent). I was looking into plastic surgery and noticed it was quite costly and my BC/BS benefits only cover surgery shortly after the incident from my understanding. Is there anything I can do?

Insurance and crooked nose

+1

Depending on your insurance company, they will likely cover some or all of the functional portion of your surgery that affects your breathing, regardless of when the injury was caused. I would recommend inquiring with them. Correcting any cosmetic issues will be billed separately, as insurance will not cover them. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Nasal surgery covered by insurance

+1

According to Obama, you can not be turned down for pre-existing problems.  So much for Obamacare.  If your insurance covers any of the procedure, it will only be a small amount, since your situation is considered mostly cosmetic.  Ten years ago the insurance company might have covered it but those days are largely gone.  But you can always try appealing your case, but even so, it is mainly cosmetic in nature.

Breathing Difficulties after Trauma

+1

Any breathing difficulties due to anatomic deviation that can be corrected with surgery are usually covered with insurance, irrespective of timing.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Broken nose and nasal obstruction

+1

Nasal obstruction can be caused from a variety of sources related to the injury. Frequently, a deviated septum or valve collapse will be the result of traumatic injuries to the nose.  Twisted nasal bones can also cause nasal obstruction when the alignment of the nasal bones are impinging the airway. Examination and consultation and documentation of the injury, along with photographs would be submitted to  your  medical  insurance for  Preauthorization. Any cosmetic changes to the nose must be paid for by the patient themselves.

Web reference: http://seattle-rhinoplasty.com

Insurance Coverage for Treatment of Crooked Nose

+1

The office of the surgeon you see can help you determine if there is coverage with your current insurance plan. My staff frequently assists patients when contacting their insurance companies. 

Crooked nose

+1

In Canada  your surgery would not be covered.However, you may get some help from the breathing. Ask your surgeon.

David Ellis MD FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
Art of Facial Surgery

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon