Can a Crooked Nose Be Fixed Without Breaking the Bone and by Just Fixing the Cartilage?

I had a rhinoplasty done two weeks ago. Top dorsal bone was shaved and another right side bone was filed. Uneven nostril openings were corrected. Also the middle third of the nose was crooked. After the surgery the doctor told me that he fixed everything. Namely he fixed the crookedness by cutting the cartilage and resuturing it. But today, I noticed that the nostrils are not as even as they were right after the surgery, and that the bone he shaved is still bumpy and the crookedness is visible.

Crooked Nose 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Josey,

At two weeks post surgery, it is simply too early to assess the results of your surgery.

Usually, it takes about 12 months for your final results to get established; patients with thick skin take a little longer than 12 months while patients with thin skin take a little less to exhibit their final results.

I advise you to have a little more patience and do not assess the daily progress you are achieving. Your best bet is to look forward to the 6 months post-op mark and then to the 12 months post-op mark.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and the honest answer is...maybe.  Noses are crooked because nasal bone and cartilage has been broken and twisted.  Rhinoplasty can rasped down deflected segments of bone and shave down deflected segments of cartilage but may not be able to move a severly deflected segment of bone back to the midline.  This may require fracturing the bone.  

Have a few consults with experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons to discuss your particular case and options.  If your really don't want your bones broken it may just mean you'll only be able to get a lesser degree of correction to the nose.  You aren't required to have the bones broken.  Hope this helps.

Recommendations For A Crooked Nose 2 Weeks After a Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult of all the facial plastic surgery procedures in part because of how much things change over a 6-12 month period following the surgery. Swelling not only takes at least 6 months to resolve, but is very commonly asymmetric. I have had many patients who thoughts their nose looked great at a week, looked crooked at 2 weeks, looked less crooked at 1 month, and then looked straight again 2 months later. The only thing that changed during the process was the amount of swelling they had. If you get more swelling on one side than the other it will make the nose look crooked. Be patient and have faith in your surgeon. They are in the best position to walk you through the recovery process.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Rhinoplasty Results

+2

No conclusion can be made about the results of your rhinoplasty as just two weeks after your surgery. You will need to wait a minimum of six months before you should critique the details of the outcome. It takes a long time for all of the swelling to subside and the skin to adapt to its new framework. What looks distorted and asymmetric now may not months later.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Revisions

+2

If you do not like your nose after 12 months of healing, you should seek further evaluation and knowledge about your healed condition.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect after rhinoplasty

+2

One of the most difficult parts about having a rhinoplasty is the patience required.  It takes a full 6 months before the nose has finally settled in. It will change in shape almost every day over that 6 months based upon how the maturation of the healing is occurring and  the amount of swelling present.  Unless there is something seriously wrong, no rhinoplasty surgeon will do anything before this 6 month period is over.  Try to ignore the day to day changes, whether the nose appears straight or crooked, whether the nostrils are uneven or the dorsum still seems bumpy.  It will get better but it will get better slowly.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon