Crooked Nose = Deviated Septum?

My nose looks as if it has been pushed to the right side of my face. I have never had a broken nose, it seems as though it had developed that way. I am wondering if I have a deviated septum. I dont think I have many symptoms, the two most noticeable to me is that I tend to feel dry in my right nostril more then my left because I think the right takes in more air then the left, Also I have little to no sense of smell in my left nostril, I have to use the right to smell. Are these legitimate symptoms?

The Septum

+2

"As the septum goes, so goes the nose."  Come on in for a professional evaluation and consultation to quantify and catalog your septal deviation.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose = Deviated Septum?

+1

Perhaps, but there are several ways that the nose can appear to be crooked, curved or asymmetric.

1. The septum is deviated to one or both sides.
  2. The nasal bone(s) are deviated to one or both sides.
  3. The upper lateral cartilage is pushed in or outward on one or both sides.
  4. The nasal tip cartilages are asymmetric in size, shape or strength causing the tip to appear crooked.

Any or all of these may be responsible for a crooked nose and the exact cause should be determined during the consultation with the Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  Once the cause(s) are determined, the plan for the Rhinoplasty can be formulated taking into account the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Deviated nose

+1

This is a very common problem.  When I take a history on patients with your story, it often is the case that there was a fall at age 2 or age 4 that did not seem to affect the nose at the time. However, it may have injured the microscopic growth centers in the nasal septum or the nasal bones causing them to grow crooked when you hit your teenage growth spurt.  You should have an open approach to the septum to make suture it is straightened at the time of your rhinoplasty.  Otherwise, the nose could wind up more crooked once the profile is lowered. I have provided a link below to such a case.

Web reference: http://www.drbentkover.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty/patient-4

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal deviation (and septal deviation) can be corrected with rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

You describe a fairly common picture in rhinoplasty patients, and your symptoms are definitely legitimate.

A crooked nose (and deviated septum) is a common situation...

+1

You are describing a common situation when someone has intranasal airway obstruction.  Deviation toward the side that is open is common as this leaves the other side collapsed.  Your dryness would be due to all of the air flowing through just half of your nose, which causes drying due to increased velocity.  You should see a qualified surgeon in your area (I am in South Jersey, not too far from you) to explore the possibility of straightening your nose and restoring your nasal airway.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Correcting A Deviated Septum

+1

Based on your description, it is hard to assess your condition and provide you with a detailed solution.

Usually, a speto-rhinoplasty will fix your breathing problem but not the aesthetic irregularities.

Therefore, I encourage you to consult with board certified surgeons of ample experience who will guide you to make a well-informed decision.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Most people with crooked noses also have deviated septums

+1

The septum is the supporting wall that goes up the center of the nose. What we refer to as a "deviated" septum is when the center or lower portion of that septum is angled to one side blocking or imparing breathing. But the external portion or top of the septum can also be deviated causing external tilting of the nose. It is rare that I see patients with a crooked nose that don't also have a deviated septum internally. As a matter of fact, the blockage inside is usually on the OPPOSITE side than the tilt. See a nasal/rhinoplasty specialist to determine if you truly have a deviated septum and what it will take to get a straigher and better functioning nose.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_rhinoplasty.html

Crooked Nose andDeviated Septum

+1

If your nose is crooked you probably have a deviated septum. This can be easily evaluated with an examination by a nasal specialist. Medical and/or surgical treatment will be described.