I got kicked in the nose when I was 16 and it healed crooked. What Can I Do About my Crooked Nose?

When I was 16, I got headbutted horse-playing around and I had to push my nose back into place because it was crooked. The doctor said it was not broken--just swollen; but after swelling went down it started to heal crooked. It seems to be push to one side more than the other. What can I do?

Your Crooked Nose Can Be Fixed-Find An Expert

Thank you for your question. Correction of a crooked nose is a complex procedure and requires an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Two factors may contribute to the crooked nose after injury. The bones may be broken and shifted, or the cartilage inside the nose called the Nasal Septum may be broken or displaced, or both.

The bones and Nasal Septum can be straightened but recurrence of twisting is common. Special techniques and splints are required to get the best possible result.

Find a doctor who is experienced in Rhinoplasty and specifically correction of the crooked or twisted nose.

Type of correction will depend on what is making your nose crooked

Correcting a crooked nose is typically addressed with surgery. This can be done as an open reduction of a nasal fracture if it is due to trauma. If there is no history of trauma, it is considered more of a cosmetic issue and is addressed with rhinoplasty. How to correct a crooked nose really depends on where the deviation is. Sometimes most of it is due to the internal septum and a correction of this can lead to a straighter appearance. Other times the bone on the outside needs to be realigned and this would involve breaking the nose in a controlled fashion. Lastly, if it is cartilage that is deviating, this can be corrected through suturing techniques and other contouring techniques through an open rhinoplasty. Most noses involve a variety of causes and creating an overall treatment plan involves sitting down with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what issues need to be addressed. 

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to nose resulted in Crooked Nose

You don't indicate how long ago your injury was. However, you do need to have an evaluation of your nose externally and internally to establish the bony and cartilaginous structure of the nose.

The upper portion of the nose is bony and transitions into the cartilages, and it may be that your septum (the center internal portion of your nose) is deviated. You also do not note if you have any trouble breathing.

Once a good exam is performed your physican can tell you what needs to be done to correct the deviation.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose

From the photo, you have a c-shaped nose with convexity to the right.  Correction would require rhinoplasty with osteotomies and likely cartilage grafting.  See a rhinoplasty specialist who can give you a detailed examination and make recommendations based on your anatomy.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reconstructive Rhinoplasty... Maybe a good option for you.

It’s not unusual for patients who’ve suffered nasal trauma to develop significant deviation of their nasal pyramid.When this situation arises, several anatomic components may contribute to this deformity.These components may include distortion of the nasal bones and significant deviation of the nasal septum.
Correction of this problem requires a reconstructive rhinoplasty and in most cases a septoplasty.Septoplasty surgery not only straightens the septum for cosmetic reasons, but removes nasal airway obstruction as well.
It’s important to realize that once the nasal septum is injured, it has a tendency to curve even after it’s been repaired and straightened.For this reason, it’s not unusual for patients to suffer recurrent deviation of the septum after surgical repair.
For these reasons, repair of this type of injury requires consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Nasal bones need to be reset

It sounds as though you have a classic nasal fracture. Most of the time when you fracture the nose the internal septum is fractured as well and deviated. A resetting of the nasal bones needs to be performed along with the possibility of straightening the internal portion of the nose at the same time if there is a breathing problem. This is not considered changing the shape of the nose as a rhinoplasty but is considered a reduction of a nasal fracture. This is done under a general anesthesia where the nasal bones are reset and a deviated septum is repaired at the same time if needed.

A nasal fracture is easier to fix

A nose can be crooked for one of two reasons:

1. It grew that way, or

2. It was fractured, or encountered some other type of trauma such as previous surgery.

The first problem is more difficult to fix because of certain inherent deficiencies in the nasal anatomy. The second one (nasal fracture) is easier to fix because the proper anatomy is present, but it has been shifted. Surgery can usually shift the nose back into a good position. While we as surgeons always strive for perfection, it is important for the patient not to expect it as a fractured nose may always have some minor irregularities. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a crooked nose.

Your nose has the classical appearance of a fractured nose. Your left side is pushed inwards while your right side is pushed outwards. This typically requires a series of steps that will bring your left outwards and your right side inwards. It may require additional grafts that need to be harvested for this procedure.

While it is reasonable to expect a big improvement, it is not realistic to expect complete correction of the asymmetry

Crooked Nose

At this time you have only two choices; either accept the appearance or have surgery. A septorhinoplasty will straighten your nose and probably improve your nasal breathing. Select an experienced surgeon because this is one of the most difficult procedures we do in nasal surgery.

Crooked nose

If you sustained a nasal fracture from a traumatic injury, it can be corrected with a rhinoplasty.  It would have been easier to centralize the nose after the initial injury, but it definitely can be fixed.