Crooked nose after rhinoplasty. Had an accident as a child and wonder if this makes my nose impossible to straighten? (photo)

I am 2 1/2 weeks after rhinoplasty and one of the things i wanted the middle area between nostrils to be straightened. i don't know if one side is just more swollen creating the illusion or "pushing" nostrils out of normal placement. i had a bad accident as a young child and wonder if this makes my nose impossible to straighten?

You may need another surgery

+1

You need to give it more time to heal (6 to 12months). When doing plastic surgery you should always keep in mind that you may need another surgery because results may not be what you hoped for.

+1

I see your issues.. But still to early to think about anything but healing. If at 6 months post consider revision if unhappy..

Crooked nose

+1

The longer your nose is crooked the longer there is "memory" in the cartilage and bones that have now developed off midline. Does that make it impossible to straighten? I don't think so but it is harder to get it exactly right. At this point it is too early to tell what your final result will be and you should not make a judgment based on how it looks 2 1/2 weeks out. There is a lot more swelling than you realize in the columella (or middle area between your nostrils). This swelling will create the appearance that the nostrils are uneven and the curve that you are seeing. It may take 9 months to a year for the swelling to go away completely. At that time your surgeon should be able to make an assessment and give you recommendations if a correction needs to be made.

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty. Had an accident as a child and wonder if this makes my nose impossible to straighten?

+1

It is just too early.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Straightening a curved nose.

+1

While there may still be some swelling after your rhinoplasty which you should let completely resolve before judging the final result, it does appear there is some curve to your columella (the tissue between your nostrils). The support structure under the skin of your columella is paired pieces of cartilage. If these are bent, your columella will have a curve. To correct this during a rhinoplasty can be accomplished by either suturing techniques where stitches are used to straighten the cartilages or by taking a straight piece of cartilage from either the nose, ribs or ear and placing it between the nose cartilages and sewing all together. As the cartilage graft is straight and is stronger than the columella cartilages, the columella will become straight. Whether there is scar tissue from your early accident which is causing any problems, only a detailed face to face exam could tell. Follow up with your plastic surgeon and address your concerns.