Crooked Nose After Rhinoplasty - How Soon Can I Get a Revision?

How soon can i get a revision rhinoplasty to correct the crookedness of my nose? 3 weeks before having rhinoplasty i got hit by a ball and it made my nose turn slightly to the right. I was told that it would be corrected during surgery but 6 weeks after rhinoplasty it still looks crooked.

Revision Rhinoplasty Timing

+2

Hi nancy30-

It would be best to wait 8-12 months before another nose surgery to allow time for all swelling to subside and the tissues to heal properly. The surgeon will also be better able to evaluate the nose and plan accordingly. Being patient will the likelihood of a successful second surgery.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

+1

As frequently stated it is a good idea to wait before most revisions - in cases of severe deviation I have done early revision surgery

Sam Naficy, MD

Depends on why it is not strait

+1

the nose is a complex 3 dimensional structure with forces acting both inside(septum) and outside(bone/cartilage/nasal tip)  timing depends on which element(s) are causing deviation

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

+1

The most challenging thing to achieve in rhinoplasty is making the crooked nose perfectly straight. What usually is realistic, and what I tell my patients, is to expect, with a combination of techniques during surgery which may include the use of cartilage grafts and/or Goretex implants, is a 70% straightening of the nose- something I can typically meet or exceed.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of revision rhinoplasty surgery

+1

I would recommen waiting about a year to allow the nose to heal more before going ahead with revision surgery.

This would allow for a better assessment of what your baseline is and what needs to be corrected. If surgery is done too soon, other issues that were initially masked may become evident down the road.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Crooked nose after rhinopalsty

+1

Most crooked noses before and after rhinoplasty are the result of crooked septum. Even though, the nasal bones are broken and reset, the septum may still be crooked and will pull the nasal bones with it to the side. We should also remember that all faces are asymmetric and as such, the nose is inherently slightly curved towards the short side of the face. You will need a revision rhinoplasty in 6-9 months after your surgery.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of crooked nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Nancy,

In general, it is best to wait 6 mo to 1 year after first-time rhinoplasty before performing a revision. Why? Because of residual swelling and continued healing, the nose may look different than it does at the 6 week period. It is always best to perform surgery when the appearance of the nose is stable, because we don't want you to ever need surgery again! Sometimes, if there is an obvious deformity that we know wont be improved with time, it is acceptable to perform a minor revision at 3 months, but that really requires a full evaluation. Hope that helps!

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon