Can a Crooked Midline (under Nose Between Nostrils) Be Straightened by Massage? (photo)

I recently had open rhinoplasty 8 weeks ago and the midline between my nostrils ( looking from under my nose) is crooked . My doctor advised me to start massaging the cartilage from inside with my fingers to straighten it. I don't see this correcting it. I was hoping for other doctors opinions.

Rhinoplasty post-op questions

+1

Dear LB32,

1. Massaging may help and certainly won't make things worse, especially if it does not hurt you
  2. You can also wait for it to heal and see how it looks
  3. If the front and side views do not look asymmetric, but the base view is slightly off, you may want to just leave it alone

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Massage Will Not Help This Crooked Columella 8 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

HiLB,   Unfortunately massage will not straighten your crooked columella 8 weeks after rhinoplasty.  Wait 6 to 12 months, if it bothers you then you may need a slight revision to straighten it out.  Good luck and be well.    Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Massage unlikely to help

+1

The deviation and asymmetry of your nostrils is from the cartilage structure underneath in misalignment. Massage would help for swelling or scar formation. It's not likely to help for this problem but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything either. If this problem bothers you a simple revision will help. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Crooked midline from worm's eye view

+1

Yes, it looks like you have some deviation from the worm's eye view. Massage is unlikley to help. If it bothers you, sometimes struts may help and sutures in the medial foot plates may help the region as well

Nasal asymmetry

+1

I doubt that massage will improve the asymmetry significantly.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Can a Crooked Midline (under Nose Between Nostrils) Be Straightened by Massage?

+1

Dear LB.

Likely this will not work.  However, as you may have guessed, people do not usually look at you from this angle.  If you look symmetric from the front view, then this is less important. If this does bother you, then a revision may help to correct this.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage may help with swelling or scar tissue

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Theoretically massage can help with swelling and scar tissue if this is the case.  I am not sure of this will result in enough correction that you will be happy however and it may be that the septum or the lower lateral cartilages are the source of the asymmetry.  If the massage does not help you and your plastic surgeon will have to consider a revision rhinoplasty.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD