Is my Nose Too Crooked to Fix? (photo)

I have had a crooked nose since elementary school after being hit with a baseball. I've finally decided on rhinoplasty(even tho I am terrifed)!My main concern is that it will stay crooked, or worse, look more crooked and just worse! Certain angles make the bump obvious, and the other * my good side for pictures is ok. I obviously have a deviated septum, but my nose is just so warped at this point i feel like there is no fixing it to look right, and that i would end up needing revisions.

Very crooked nose can be fixed

+1

In experienced hands this is a routine rhinoplasty.  With the extent of deviation of your external nasal pyramid, you most certainly have a deviated septum on the internal portion of the nose.  The bump will be shaved off, both medial and lateral osteotomies need to be performed to straighten and realign the nasal bones with the upper and lower lateral cartilages.  The chance of needing a revision or a touchup is approximately 10% in experienced hands.  Touchups are usually quite simple and involve rasping a small bump across the nasal bridge.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty will be necessary to give you a better nose

+1

Hi MSC81;

Your history is typical of one whose nose is crooked, irregular, and unsatisfactory as the result of an injury.  You are correct that certain angles make the bump look obvious because the lack of symmetry means you have two different noses from left and right views, or many different noses depending on the angle of view. 

Most likely you do have a deviated septum.  That generally is responsible for the crookedness, although the nasal bones also appear to be no longer in the proper position.  If you have breathing problems as a result of the nasal deformity and deviated septum, obviously you have another reason to need the surgery.

You should not be afraid to undergo the operation because of the possibility of a revision.  The possibility of a revision is still minor.  Your chances of not needing a revision will be related, of course, to the difficulties of the case and the training, experience, and talent of the operating surgeon.  As my other colleagues have advised, you would be wise to consult with those surgeons who “major” in nasal surgery and have a long run of experience dealing with the kind of nose that you have.

These operations are not simple; I can attest to that.  Just this morning, we had a very difficult case with a young woman who, as you, had her nose broken by an injury and had a long history of breathing and sinus problems. Of course, her  nose was crooked and unsatisfactory in many respects.

I encourage you to do your homework on surgeons and visit many websites, read books and, of course, consult with the most highly specialized surgeons that you can find.  Be sure to have computer imaging and, of course, see lots of before-and-after photos.

Finally, it may be necessary for you to have some type of touch-up procedure after surgery if the nose is not perfectly straight. But remember that “non-surgical rhinoplasty” or “injection rhinoplasty” may take the place of another trip to the operating room. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Crooked nose for rhinoplasty

+1

You look like an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. Smoothing the dorsal hump and refining the tip will provide a nice, balanced, and aesthetically pleasing nasal contour.  If you choose an experiended Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you can look forward to a good result.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

+1

As long as you have given up your baseball career, I would encourage you to have a rhinoplasty. In addition to straightening your nose, think about reducing the hump along your bridge line, decreasing the length of your nose, and narrowing and refining your nasal tip. Hope you enjoy your new nose after waiting all these years.

You can get a great result

+1

You have thin skin over the tip and will get a great result. You should get at least two consultations with board certified plastic surgeons to  discuss the options.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Deviated nose

+1

You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty and your nose is very fixable. As long as your doctor is experienced and comfortable with crooked noses you should have a nice result. Your deviation is not particularly bad. See the section in my website titled "deviated noses" for some examples. Good luck.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my Nose Too Crooked to Fix?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years and IMHO, your nose could be refined with a Closed Rhinoplasty.  The bones would need to be broken and the nasal tip thinned.  Many of these questions and concerns, that you have, are normal IMO and would be addressed during consultation for your Rhinoplasty.  Overall, the revision rate is quite low with Rhinoplasty among the most experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons, IMHO.

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose can be done for your nose to greatly improve your breathing as well as your appearance. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may result in a straighter appearance of your nose.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Along with a crooked appearance, you have a profile hump and your tip is droopy and bulbous. These issues may be improved allowing your nose to blend in and not call attention to itself.

You may want to consult several rhinoplasty specialists to see what you might expect to achieve after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Just judging from your photos without an exam, I think you could have a very nice improvement in the nasal shape with a rhinoplasty. Revisions are always a possibility in any rhinoplasty.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD