Crooked Columella and Deflected Caudal Septum After Septoplasty

After my septoplasty, my columella seems crooked and you can see the bottom of my septum through my right nostril. I don't feel this is caused by swelling and want to know if these problems will heal over time and if they are common. If they will not heal themselves, how can I go about correcting them (I do not want to have to go through the whole septoplasty experience again). Thank you very much for your help.

Septal deviation an occasionally recur

+1

Any septum--deviated or not--has built-in internal stresses that maintain its shape. Septoplasty changes these stresses.  In most cases, the remaining septum stays flat but I have seen a few severely deviated septa deviate and require limited secondary surgery to maximize the airway.  The secondary surgery should be minor, so try not to worry.

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose after septoplasty

+1

You need to let complete healing take place and then a revision needs to be done if you are still dissatisfied.

Crooked septum not swelling after Septoplasty

+1

IMHO, you are most likely correct that the asymmetric nostrils (columella) and septal deviation anteriorly are not related to swelling after a Septoplasty...which has no real external swelling associated with the procedure. The septum anteriorly is crooked and that's why it's visible within the nostril space.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Crooked septum after septoplasty

+1

Dear Ninja1992,

What you are describing seems to be the end of your septum that is protruding off into the right nostril.  Caudal septal deflections can be difficult to correct but you should not be seeing this after surgery.  Unfortunately this is not likely to improve with time and you will likely need to have this revised.  A revision to correct this caudal deflection may not be as bad as the initial surgery, depending on how it is done and what has to be done to correct it.  Good luck and see your surgeon to discuss this further. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sseptoplasty and rhinoplasty

+1

A crooked columella or a visible end of the septum from one nostril usually doesnot resolve on its own It will need a revision where the end of the septum has to be secured to the middle of the nose It may require additional surgical maneuvers to correct permanently Good luck

Plantation Plastic Surgeon