6 Weeks Post -op - Crooked Chin Implant? (photo)

I am 6 weeks post op and since day one my chin implant has been uneven,my chin looks as if its pointing to the left,can this be due to swelling or is it the implant itself? My DR says its too soon to tell but from what he sees/felt he doesnt believe it has shifted. Since it has not changed in appearance i am very worried i will end up needed another surgery to correct. Help !

Chin implant

+3

It is very difficult to give you an opinion without an examination. Get a second opinion or wait another 6 weeks fo final results.

Remember a chin implant has a symmetrical curve that should hug the mandible curve. If the mandible curve is not symmetrical then the chin implant will not fit and hug the curve of the mandible. I think that is why we see a lot of dissatisfaction questions about chin implants.

Uneven chin implant

+1

Hi Ettsi,

Uneven or crooked chin implant could be due to underlying bony jaw asymmetry which can be corrected by carving the implant to improve the underlying unevenness...

If the implant has shifted, you may need to undergo a short revision procedure to correct it.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Crooked Chin Implant 6 Weeks after Placement

+1

Six weeks after chin implant placement it is difficult to determine if the asymmetry is secondary to swelling or implant placement. If the asymmetry is still present in another 6-8 weeks you and your surgeon will discuss a possible revision. Look at your pre-op pictures to make sure that your natural chin was not asymmetric before surgery.

Uneven chin implant

+1

You will probably need a revision. If the problem is due to asymmetry of the underlying bone, the implant might have to be trimmed or custom made to accomodate for this.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Position

+1

Based on the photographs shown, there is moderate postoperative asymmetry. However, the preoperative photo, which is taken with your neck slightly more extended, seems to suggest a preoperative asymmetry.  I encourage you to review your photos and concerns with your Surgeon. If preoperative asymmetry existed, correction is very difficult without a custom implant

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Chin Implant?

+1

Based on the two posted photos and without seeing a before photo my guess is a maligned chin implant.To correct additional surgery is your only option. Did you have bony mandibular asymmetry before? Sorry for your issues.